Entry data in Excel

belayer 11:51 08 Oct 07

I have constructed a large spreadsheet file which I use, it is extremely complex but works well. I record the details about a lot of other files and include in one column the date when each one is updated.

Is there any way of asking Excel to compare the entry date with today's date and to let me know that (for example) one years has passed, or six months since it was updated?

Thanks

silverous 12:31 08 Oct 07

It depends on how you want it to let you know.
For example you could add another column (if you make sure the analysis toolpak is loaded) which does this:

=IF(EDATE(A1,6)<=TODAY(),"6MTH WARNING","")

Then alongside each file which hasn't been updated for 6 months will have the warning alongside. If you want Excel to hunt these down and warn you you probably want some VBA/A Macro which is also possible.

Let us know exactly what you want it to do.

silverous 12:32 08 Oct 07

(I'm assuming that A1 is the last updated date and that you copy this down an entire new column)

belayer 14:01 08 Oct 07

OK, thanks, I will play with that and see if its what I want, it sounds like its ideal.

belayer 14:17 08 Oct 07

I have a problem with loading the 'Analysis toolpack'. When I want to install it I get a box telling me to install the disck, but I only have the copy of windows that came with the PC when I bought it ready installed, no disks.

I will try the microsoft website, unless you know how alse I can get it.

belayer 14:42 08 Oct 07

I found the disks and have installed the Analysis toolpack,( I think, not sure how I check but it seemed to do it).

All I get is the warning words "6MTH Warning" regardless of the date I install in the cell it refers to (A1 in your example).

The idea that the second column alongside an out of date file just lights up with 'UPDATE' as appropriate would be great, even better if it said 'Current' when it doesn't need updating.

belayer 15:10 08 Oct 07

Its OK, got it working, its good thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…