entering keycode

fgsgas 15:58 01 Jun 08

Hi, my daughter dropped her laptop and smashed the screen. We've bought her a second hand one to replace it and have installed Microsoft Office, printer drivers and allsorts of other stuff. During an automatic update, we found that the copy of Windows XP on this laptop did not pass the authentication process. I want to change the windows key number to that of the old laptop. I still have the disk and number. How do I change the number without having to re-install windows and all the programs that we have installed? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Denny

Totally-braindead 16:13 01 Jun 08

I don't know if it will work. Firstly the version for both has to be the same IE one cannot be XP Pro and the other XP Home they have to be the same, both Pro or both Home. And I am unsure never having done this whether it will pass validation as it should identify that all the hardware has changed.

The XP on the old laptop will probably be OEM and therefore won't transfer.

You could try it but I'm afraid I haven't a clue as to where to start.

csqwared 16:19 01 Jun 08

You say you have the disk and number but, as Totally-braindead says, if it is not a retail version of XP it won't transfer to the replacement laptop. OEM versions "die" with the faulty computer. Having said that, if the disk you have is a retail version, as far as I am aware you will have to do an install and validate during the install process, and then re-install all software.

Technotiger 16:19 01 Jun 08

You could phone Microsoft at Reading, if in UK. I think you will find them very helpful ...click here

fgsgas 16:33 01 Jun 08

Thanks, the disk I have is a Dell one and was originaly pre-installed on the laptop. I might have to bite the bullet and try a re-install. Thanks again.
Denny

Taff™ 07:17 02 Jun 08

On the new second hand laptop, does it have a genuine windows XP sticker on the bottom? If so then it is possible to check if this is the same key registered on the computer itself. Download Belarc Advisor click here and run the programme, then compare the two. If they are different you can change it to the correct one.

ambra4 11:54 02 Jun 08

Download Key Finder 1.51 will find the Key on the new laptop and allow you to change

the key to the old one on the damage laptop

click here

There is a new version 2.01 which would only find the key, but not allow you to change

the key

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…