Ensuring correct CPU settings in BIOS for AMDSEMP

terendak_uk 17:39 24 Jul 06

Hi.
Be most grateful for advice: Put together a PC a couple of years ago and had to go into the BIOS to change a setting for an AMD processor: just had a PC upgraded by the local PC shop and I would like to ensure that they have set the CPU to work optimally, but I forget what to check/do! The Mobo is a GigabyteM1689D, CPU AMD Sempron 3000+. Belarc states that the bus clock is 200MHz and that the processor is a 1.8GHzAthlon 64. In My Computer, Properties it states also that I have an AMD SEmpron Processor 3000+ ( but nothing about 1.8GHz). In the BIOS, "Frequency/voltage control" the k8CPU clock ratio is "default" and the cpu clock is 200MHz.Looking at previous posts it seems that my FSB setting ( default) is not optimal for this processor? I understand that the "3000+" is not a 3000MHz processor....
Thanks

Gongoozler 17:43 24 Jul 06

There are some interesting figures here click here

Stuartli 17:51 24 Jul 06

My AMD XP Athlon 3200+ is actually a 2.2GHz CPU..:-)

Marketing hype as AMD claim/claimed that their CPUs perform at a level equivalent to an Intel of a higher GHz specification.

terendak_uk 17:54 24 Jul 06

Interesting reading but I can't find details on how to check if the BIOS settings have been optimised for this Processor. It runs slower than another PC I assembled 2yrs ago ( sure, there are other variables);it's something to do with resetting some clock speed in the BIOS? I just can't remember, sigh!

terendak_uk 17:59 24 Jul 06

Sorry , not making myself clear.....I know about the difference between the labelling ( 3000+, for eg)but I was told by Maplin at the time of assembling my other PC that I needed to change a BIOS setting to optimise the performance of the cpu. I did that on the first PC and it improved it's performance. Just can't remember what setting to check to see if Ye Locale Shoppe have done this for me.

terendak_uk 18:57 24 Jul 06

re BIOS resetting for a "xxxx+" cpu but, I cannot find useful info, so far, on AMD's site. Be grateful for further insights.
Thanks

terendak_uk 20:14 25 Jul 06

In case of more info ( or I have missed something already?). When one buys/fits a xxxx+ AMD cpu, one has to change a BIOS setting to get the best out of the cpu?( not overclocking). It isn't enabled by default?
Thanks....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…