enough protection?

crashb648 14:31 09 Jul 10

Hi everyone!

I know these kind of questions crop up often on forums, but i wanted a direct answer, so here goes.

I currently have the following secrity software installed:

> Microsoft Security Essentials
> Ad-Aware Free
> Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
> Spybot Search and Control

Are these enough to cover all the main threats, all do i need to install any other software? (Freeware only)

Another quick question while im at it, Ad-Aware keeps stopping in the scan and is very slow, any one reccomend a better similar freeware program?

Thanks for the help!

- Crashb648

onthelimit 14:33 09 Jul 10

I've been running with MSE and Malwarebytes for ages with no problem I think it's possible to get paranoid!

birdface 15:59 09 Jul 10

MSE is fine.
None of the rest gives you full time protection.
Maybe make a one of payment for Malwarebytes and keep Spybot and remove ad-aware.

gel 16:37 09 Jul 10

I have used only MSE for the last 3 months

It updates and scans every morning

I am careful which sites I visit

gel

Bapou 17:05 09 Jul 10

I dumped Ad Aware following a number of unexplained problems.

At present my Security is in the hands of AVG9 (Free)including it's Anti Spyware, Malwarebytes, without any mishap. Working on the principle of one of each is enough, Firewall/AntiVirus/then again, an additional Anti Spyware program causes no conflict, hence Malwarebytes.

crashb648 19:12 09 Jul 10

So you suggest, getting rid of Anti-Spyware,

so i am guessing Anti-Malware/MSE/Spybot cover spyware between them?

tullie 19:30 09 Jul 10

Its Spybot s&d by the way,hope youve got the right one.

john 52 19:47 09 Jul 10

I also have SpywareBlaster and SUPERantiSpyware also what firewall are you using

crashb648 20:29 09 Jul 10

@Tullie - yes its spybot search and control
@John52 - Thanks, i shall try them out! And i only have the standard windows firewall, i should re-install zonealarm. I took it off for some reason, a reason i cannot remember.

john 52 20:45 09 Jul 10

I think the general feeling on here is with XP you need a better firewall !! Vista and above the windows firewall is okay !! I use PC tools firewall on a members(john bunyan) recommendation after problems with Zone alarm

birdface 09:41 10 Jul 10

Protection.
Think of it as Human.

No protection lots of kids.
Poor protection half as many as no protection.
Good protection the odd one or two will get by if you allow them.
Full protection.
Not such a thing.But better than all of the others.
Its the same for computers it all depends what you think is the proper protection.
Old saying better to be Safe than Sorry.
I hope that helped make up your mind on both accounts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…