Enough memory?

mumto4 20:18 20 Jul 07

Hi. I would like to know please if a laptop with
256MB RAM is enough to run most common programs smoothly.
Many thanks in advance.

put another 256mb you will see a big difference but another 512mb would be more than ok if your running basic apps and surfing etc
click here
check for the correct ram,im presuming your running xp?

mumto4 20:35 20 Jul 07

Thanks very much THE RAVEN.
I would be running xp. I wanted to check out the offer that Orange and Pc world are running re the laptop. I would be running basic apps , mainly using it for study- internet,Word etc.
Would you mind advising me as to what to do and how to proceed?

if its a new lappy you should be able to add the addtional ram for 20-30 pound,fyi xp toils with 256,512 makes all the difference,i purchased mine with 256 and quickly upgraded if that helps?

i got mine from asda £249 ish upgraded the ram amd is brilliant for what i need (similar to yours)

mumto4 20:46 20 Jul 07

Thanks. Now would you be so kind as to tell me how to upgrade? Sorry :)

sorry im on cable and perfectly happy,orange doesnt seem to get any good reviews,its a case of risk,new laptop and bank on orange to back up the offer with good service.
Maybe someone has taken the plunge can advise
good look from
dad of 4

wee eddie 21:42 20 Jul 07

It would be cheaper to buy one with 512MB RAM. Most recommend 1GB RAM as the bottom line for Vista.

If you buy one with XP installed and it has 256MB of RAM, plug it into the Internet and visit the Crucial site recommended by *THE RAVEN*. Then run the System Scanner. It will tell you what is already installed and make recommendations.

Your Laptop will probably come with no Manual but there will likely be one on a CD that came with it. Find the bit that tells you where the RAM is and then visit "YouTube".

Write into the Search window "Install RAM in Laptop" (you may need to vary the wording) but that is how I found out how to do mine.

There are several movies to show you how to do it there. Good Luck.

mumto4 11:50 21 Jul 07

Brilliant advice from you both, thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac