end it all

picklesy 15:28 15 Mar 04

hi.after crashing pc for umpteenth time trying to close start up programes i remembered theres a utility called end it all,can anyone please help me to find this.xp home.thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 15:33 15 Mar 04
  ianeon 15:34 15 Mar 04

click here - This link will give you that programme but the prog does not work on XP - describe your problems and someone may be able to help

Diodorus Siculus 15:36 15 Mar 04

click here
Startup CPL - will stop the programs starting up in the first place.

click here for info on processes to run at startup.

hugh-265156 15:45 15 Mar 04

enditall does work on xp(i have tried it).the link just doesnt say so.

thing is though its just as easy using task manager/applications to shut down running programs or click the processes tab and stop anything that is NOT listed as "system"

that does not stop start up programs from loading again when you reboot.to do this click start/run and type "msconfig" click the start up tab and untick everything except your antivirus and firewall.restart your computer.if you have any problems(i doubt you will)just put the ticks back.

a good guide for start up programs if you are unsure what they are is click here

many windows services start up automatically with windows.enditall wont touch these though.

most services are uneeded and can be set to manual(start when you need them)or disabled(never start)this can free up some ram if you are low on it and speed up windows start up also.

services are found in control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/services.

a good guide on services,what they are and do etc is click here

hugh-265156 15:47 15 Mar 04

sorry for repeating your service links Diodorus Siculus.am slow at typing :-)

Diodorus Siculus 15:51 15 Mar 04

huggyg71- no need to say sorry to me! I always like confirmation of what I am saying :-}

picklesy 15:54 15 Mar 04

my problem is i have a file i am trying to delete but every time i try to delete windows says it cannot delete because another programe or app. is using it.thanks for your rapid responses.

Diodorus Siculus 16:04 15 Mar 04

Try starting in Safe-mode - press F8 at startup.

Is it a video file / music file; if so, then create a new text document in the same folder, select both together and press the del key. That way it should go.

GroupFC 16:06 15 Mar 04

Try starting in safe mode and deleting it from there.

GroupFC 16:09 15 Mar 04

Great minds and all that!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…