Is this the End of AVG as we know it?

PhiltheFragger 13:43 07 Mar 04

See current thread re Slow AVG Updates.

Ok Guys
Obviously AVG are a victim of their own success, but that in turn opens the debate further.

it is safe to say that if AVG do nothing, the problem will get worse.

An answer would be for AVG to increase its server capacity. However, this will cost money.

Are AVG willing to spend poss big bucks on a free program?

all the economists out there will have heard of the doctrine of "Diminishing Marginal Utility" which amongst other things, suggests the introduction of charges to avoid queueing.

This is a classic example and I feel that it is only a matter of time before AVG start charging for their product.

Dont get me wrong, I would be happy to pay a nominal fee as I feel it is a good program, but there is no denying that it has reached a critical point in its development and roll out.

Comments?

Stuartli 13:51 07 Mar 04

Perhaps something of an over reaction....?

PhiltheFragger 13:57 07 Mar 04

maybe, but can you see any other possible solution?

Bet you 20p that within 2 months, free AVG will have gone and been replaced with a small fee for the licence download.

LastChip 13:59 07 Mar 04

If you look at the address you connect to on the free program for updates, it is click here....

I suspect if you opt for the paid version, there is more capacity on the server, providing faster service, and there's no denying in my view, that is how it should be. Personally, I have no problem being a little patient and waiting my turn.

The point is, that anti-virus software, wouldn't be used by many people if they had to pay a license fee. I can point you to a number of people that had Norton bundled with systems, only to let it drop when the first renewal came around. The fact they found out later it was not a good move, and cost them dearly in most cases, comes after the event.

Whilst the world has sad idiots who think it's cool to screw up thousands of machines throughout the world, I dearly hope that free services such as AVG will continue to provide it's very valuable service, otherwise, we are likely to see chaos on the internet for the foreseeable future.

Chegs ® 14:28 07 Mar 04

Unlikely a charge would be levied,as if AVG charged for updates,there are plenty of competitors who dont.Result,mass exodus to another freebie.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 14:39 07 Mar 04

I think that AVG the free version will keep going. There has got to be some revenue somewhere or this would never have been done in the first place. It might not be as much as the revenue from the sale of the professional version, or the version 7, but there is no doubt that they are making money somehow by supplying this.

I think if it did come to charging for this, that many people would continue with it because they have seen how excellent it has been in the past and it has got them out of trouble. I certainly would.

I think that a lot of the poor downloads at the moment, are due to a number of servers which are having problems. Maybe we have come to the point where the capacity of the servers needs increasing on a number of sites on the Internet. I would think that usage of the Internet is fairly uniform in its growth no matter what subject you look at.

Best wishes,

Charles

Stuartli 14:46 07 Mar 04

The main reason for providing free versions of such utilities such as AVG, ZoneAlarm etc is that the companies concerned hope that, once you have realised how good (or otherwise!) the product is, you will pay for the more advanced version.

That's also the reason for so many companies providing their just superceded software on magazine cover disks - you may have noticed that there is almost invariably an option to update, at a price, to the very latest version.

Stuartli 15:01 07 Mar 04

PhiltheFragger

It's Grisoft that produces the program - AVG merely represents AntiVirusGrisoft.

So AVG can't be "a victim of its own success" or "do nothing"...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple