Encrypting documents on a website

Deniset 16:42 07 Jan 08

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to encrypt documents we want to post on our website?
We wish to make available to our customers documents such as Risk Assessment forms, but dont want to post these for just anyone(especially our competitors) to download,alter logos and use as their own.

pchelper001 16:54 07 Jan 08

take a look at this page

click here

Patr100 19:34 07 Jan 08

The trouble with some of these off the shelf products is that if anyone knows the coorect addresss of the page you want to protect they don't need the password to acces it -

Your host should provide password protected folders Usually easy to set up in the hosting control panel.

Forum Editor 17:55 08 Jan 08

by using a file called .htaccess that will ask your customers for a username and password before they're allowed access to the files you want to protect. It's fairly easy to set up, provided the list of customers isn't too long - you'll have to type each username/password pair into another file (called .htpasswd). Both of these files may already be available to you in your server space, and it's worth having a look via your FTP software. Using .htaccess is a fairly secure method - certainly secure enough to stop the average snooper from ever getting at your files.

Let us know if you fancy doing this, and I (or someone else) will give you some further help.

Deniset 20:18 08 Jan 08

This sounds really good. Will certainly have to get back to you regarding help as I really dont know anything about website construction.
Many thanks to all

CodeMeister 10:52 10 Jan 08

What stops one of your competitors from becoming one of your customers and then using the username and password that you supplied for accessing the Risk Assessment forms ?

Deniset 11:11 10 Jan 08

Fair point, there is a rik (if you pardon the pun, in everything, but this is about minimising piracy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017