Encrypting D-Link modem help please.

bof:) 00:13 08 Jul 05

Hi all,

My neighbour has a D-Link AIR DWL-510 wireless PCI Adapter modem. She would like to know how to encrypt it.

We've looked on the D-Link website but cannot find any reference to the 510 model, only the 510G.

It seems from what we have found, that the only way to setup the encryption option is to reinsatll the modem. Is this correct?

Because my neighbour uses her PC for work she wants to know if whilst it remains un-encrypted can people actually see the details of her business if she is on line?

Is it also possible for people nearby to use her connection to the internet to surf the net themselves?

If so does this result in her PC running slower? (this does seem to happen from time to time)

Thanks for any help, I'm not too up on wireless modems and would appreciate it if I can put her mind at ease.

Many thanks,

Mike

Hairy Yeti 00:46 08 Jul 05

Hi Bof:)

Check the link click here .I think this is the card you are talking about.
It is acually a just wireless network card and is not itself a modem.
As for setting up wireless encryption it depends on

1 What operating system is in use.

2 If it is XP are you using the builtin wireless management or the propritory D-link stuff

and
3 which wireless access point/router is in use

The good news is a reinstall should not be required.

Re security. As the wireless network is completely seperate from the internet connection it doesn't matter whether your friend is online or not. If you are using an unencrypted wireless network, and you have file sharing enabled, your PC is vulnerable.
Seperatly - if you have an enencrypted wireless network attached to an always on internet connection YES other people can use your account.

Hairy Yeti 00:47 08 Jul 05

Hi Bof:)

Check the link click here .I think this is the card you are talking about.
It is acually a just wireless network card and is not itself a modem.
As for setting up wireless encryption it depends on

1 What operating system is in use.

2 If it is XP are you using the builtin wireless management or the propritory D-link stuff

and
3 which wireless access point/router is in use

The good news is a reinstall should not be required.

Re security. As the wireless network is completely seperate from the internet connection it doesn't matter whether your friend is online or not. If you are using an unencrypted wireless network, and you have file sharing enabled, your PC is vulnerable.
Seperatly - if you have an unencrypted wireless network attached to an always on internet connection YES other people can use your account.

Taff36 07:30 08 Jul 05

If the modem router happens to be a DSL-G604T click here and pick up my post. I suspect that most of the recent D-Link routers have a very similar interface anyway.

bof:) 21:04 09 Jul 05

Hi all,

Hairy Yeti, in answer to your questions

1. XP Home
2. Using the D_link program supplied with router and wireless card.
3. Not sure I'll have too check with the neighbour.

File sharing is disbled (I think....I'll check).

Taff36, I'll check with the neighbour which model of modem she is using.

Many thanks for your assistance,

Mike

Taff36 08:58 06 Aug 05

Did you get anywhere with this one?

bof:) 21:50 06 Aug 05

Hi all,

neighbour on holiday. Before she left she said that her internet connection was running slow. She also said that if she goes to the modem and gives it a shake/thump, everything returns to normal.

D-link tech help suggested updating her firmware via email

I've downloaded the fireware needed and am at present waiting for her to return.

I assume that the 'encryption' issue will be dealt with then.

I'll let you know.

Mike

bof:) 14:07 26 Sep 05

hi all, not ally resolved but no longer a problem. It turned out that the modem was faulty anyway and has been replaced via cable direct to ntl modem.

Many thanks for all of your help.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…