Encrypted network, connection loss issue

Volcore 01:35 13 Jul 07

I have been using a netgear pci card for a while now and I have had no problems at all. But this week, I encrypted the network, as I found out 3-5 unknown users where using our connection, so that had to stop.

The router that we have is a Belkin 54G and the encryption type that I have used is WPA-PSK TKIP. I am the only one using a Netgear card, every one else in my home are using belkin adapters. I have to point out, that I am the only person in my home having connection loss issues.

When the connection is lost, I stop receiving packets, but, the netgear wizard icon is still green and telling me that I have a connection to the router, which I would assume I would have. It is almost as if the encryption is blocking the internet from being received.

Any help would be great; I've been trying to fix this for the past few days, with no luck.

Thanks.

mgmcc 08:47 13 Jul 07

Try changing the Channel number in the router's wireless settings, which might help to avoid lost connections. The other adapters in the house should pick up the changed channel without a problem.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the existing 'profile' in the adapter's software and go through the procedure to "Connect" again when a new profile will be created.

I'm actually a great believer in using Windows' own "Wireless Zero Configuration" to manage wireless connections, rather than third-party software supplied with the adapter. It is much more straightforward and seems very reliable.

If all else fails, another Belkin USB WiFi adapter might be the answer, installed with "drivers only" and using Windows' WZC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos