Encrypted File

raliy2k 01:13 21 Jan 08

Before I reformatted my computer I had an encrypted Microsoft Word file with some important data. Encrypted through the file properties.

After the format I can no longer access this file. Is there a way around this? It will save me weeks to get those data back.

rawprawn 07:25 21 Jan 08

which encryption program did you use. If it was something like AxCrypt and you can remember the password, reinstall the program.
I am assuming your encrypted document was on a backup disc and not formatted.

raliy2k 21:36 21 Jan 08

I did not use an Encryption software. It was just the simple Windows XP integrated encryption from the file properties.

Burpie 23:33 21 Jan 08

This won't help you now, but have a read through for reference. click here

This might help you now, but it depends. click here

Scroll down a bit and look at the table that describes the method of reinstalling.

If, in your case, the answer is anything except No.1, then the links to recovery software (pay for) might work.
Microsoft offer a recovery service too (pay for).

There's also the hacking option using a hex editor- you'll have to decide for yourself if that's the way you want to go.

How did formatting the computer make you forget the password?

The encryption can be broken with software but your best method is to try all the passwords that you might have used. Although not recommended, most people use a small selection of passwords for everything. I think I only use about 20 passwords myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…