An Encounter with a SERIOUS VIRUS pls help!!!

julius44 16:31 25 Aug 08

Hello i got a call from a work colleague of mine, i evening after work, she said there was a huge problem on the desktop. the following day she took a few pictures on her fone and she gave them to me at work via bluettooth. She was given a desktop by a friend, it as 1 of thos with the crt screen, and she'd sighned up to virgin broadband, but it seems she never invested in a decent decent internet security package, she mistakenly removed the pc guard that virgin gave her. To cut a long story short, all the language on the pc has changed to some kind of gibberish.....question marks, asteriks..eg 3$%^&******, &*%$£+++ stuff life that, all the icons, even from the windows page, she cannot even get to system restore, mamanged to get to safe mode with her..and still all the gibberish language still comes up.....i've tried everying on the fone with her..to no avail. nothing on the desktop can be read, all in asterisks...i dont think this can be sorted, but any help would be much appreciated

NewestRoyWidd1 16:38 25 Aug 08

To help others to help you,please supply details of her OS(XP etc).

sunny staines 16:38 25 Aug 08

i would put the windows cd in format the drive and re install windows fresh.
after format turn pc off for 10 mins before install of windows to clear any infection in the memory.

before doing this get some security software installed before going on the net to get windows updates

julius44 16:56 25 Aug 08

opearing system is windows xp...she cant access anything else, i dont think she has the cd....any other ideas if cd is lost?? can she reformat hard drive without the cd??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 25 Aug 08

maybe not a virus but a change of font.

try a repair

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

and get some security it is all free click here

DJ Techz 20:12 25 Aug 08

If so, what i did to a friends computer was install avast antivirus and ran a boot scan then ran some scans with avast to make sure everythings gone

rdave13 20:16 25 Aug 08

As DJ Ryan, try this; click here

DJ Techz 15:38 26 Aug 08

I actually got Avast Home edition and installed the whole program onto the computer so it also had the antivirus real time scanner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…