enabling harddrive dma to increase performance

pookie 13:43 10 Aug 04

hi

i have a pc of upgrades and have had same 5400 speed harddrive for some time - i'm unsure of make/model - sorry.

someone has suggested i enable harddrive dma to improve games performance - how and where do i do this? do i also need to change anything in bios?

many thanks as always

P

woodchip 13:51 10 Aug 04

If you are Win98 right click My Computer\Properties\Device Manager double click on drives then double click on the drive you want to enable you will see a box Under settings put a tick in the box, windows may say that it may cause problems ignore the warning and reboot the computer then go back to the above and see if the tick is still there if not then it cannot be enabled for that drive

woodchip 13:52 10 Aug 04

You can follow the same rout for XP but look foe device manager under hardware

woodchip 13:53 10 Aug 04

You can follow the same route for XP but look for device manager under hardware

TomJerry 13:53 10 Aug 04

(1) Firstly, you can only enable DMA if motherboard support it.

(2) Even you can enable DMA, it may not make much difference because your HDD is spinning at low speed (5400rpm), most HDDs nowdays spin at 7200 rpm (some at 10000rpm). Moreover, you may short of HDD space which make access slow.

The best solution is to get a new HDD if the HDD is the one hold you back. £35 will buy you a 80gb (7200rpm) HDD click here. However, I do not think that the HDD is the only one holds you back for better game performance.

pookie 13:54 10 Aug 04

thanks woodchip - what about xp home edition or is it same procedure? is enabling dma of hardrive a normal/standard thing to do? again, sorry, with xp does anything have to change in bios?

cheers

P

pookie 13:56 10 Aug 04

sorry - i replied before your answers came up. mobo ia asus a7n8x-x (newish).

thanks for all help and advise

P

Stuartli 14:13 10 Aug 04

You can read up on Direct Memory Access:

click here

click here

Gongoozler 16:01 10 Aug 04

XP is slightly different from 98. Under Device Manager, click on the + alomgside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, then double click on Primary IDE channel, and click on the Advanced Settings tab. Similarly for the Secondary IDE channel.

Stuartli 16:09 10 Aug 04

XP will autodetect DMA if available.

pookie 20:37 10 Aug 04

thanks alot guys. checked as instructed and it is enabled

have a good night

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…