Enable USB

bullys 18:43 17 Jul 03

How can i enable my USB ports . Do i have to do it in the Bios ?

Or am i to find the make of the Chip then DL it fro somewhere ?

How do i know what chip i use . ?

madPentium 19:07 17 Jul 03

what version of windows are you using?

In the bios enable the usb and then windows should automatically detect and install it.

bullys 09:02 18 Jul 03

I had 3 machines like this . 2 have been done , but someone else did them . There no longer contactble.

Which cat in the Bios am i going in to cHange this ?

graham√ 09:43 18 Jul 03

You may be able to do it in Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controller, right-click on a USB, click 'instal'. Otherwise, try Add Hardware Wizard.

I would have expected the USBs to be already enabled, though.

TECHNODIMWIT 09:48 18 Jul 03

i dont think XP supports usb2 until service pack
(SP1) is installed.

woodchip 10:57 18 Jul 03

Yes go into bios as that is the first port of call, to enable USB. Watch the screen when you boot your computer on what to press to enter setup to change pages use arrow key's to enter a page press enter same for an item you want to enable but use the page up page down to enable or disable. save settings when you exit

bullys 11:06 18 Jul 03

Looked in Device manager and thre s not even a USB line there , I know what your sayin . It should be at the bottom of the normal list.

Its the biso bit im stuck on which menu do i choose to enable the bios . i know how to get in it , just which cat do i pick . ..

I ve been in the all and cant see anything to do with USB .

As for USB 2 forget that . i want USB full stop to be working on this ,

Brian-336451 11:15 18 Jul 03

To enable usb on my computer (irrespective of the OS) I have to interrupt the boot sequence and change the bios setting to Enable USB.

Its an AMIBIOS and interestingly the 'Load Safe Defaults' doesn't automatically enable usb.

I actually did it yesterday having been fiddling so I know its there, have a look you can't really do any harm.

To be on the safe side make notes of any changes you make, failing that just get on with it, you can always go back to the defaults and start again.

seancblack 11:15 18 Jul 03

what motherboard do you have?
does it have onboard usb?
does it have usb headers on the mobo which you have connected yourself?

bullys 11:45 18 Jul 03

Ive done a upgrade on this machine from 98 to XP pro , and the USB ports just dont work , Nothing i have installed or added there all built in .

How can i get details of Mother board . ? Can i tell from start up or bios . ?

graham√ 12:56 18 Jul 03

Belarc Advisor is just one that will tell you all about the PC. Download (free) from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…