enable graphics card

mrmikeyb1 14:04 06 Jul 05

I hope someone can help.

I was having a problem with my computer and recieved advice to disable my graphics card to rule it out.

I disabled my graphics card through Windows hardware manager and rebooted. Since then my computer boots up and then I get a black screen.

How do I enable my graphics card?

I am running Windows XP professional, Gigabyte motherboard and an ATI Radeon 9600.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MB

De Marcus 14:06 06 Jul 05

turn your pc on and whilst it's booting tap the f8 key till you get a list of options. Choose the last knowngood config one and press enter.

De Marcus 14:50 06 Jul 05

When you are troubleshooting, it is recommended that you use Last Known Good Configuration before you try other options, such as safe mode. However, even if you decide to use safe mode first, logging on to the computer in safe mode does not update the Last Known Good Configuration. Therefore, using Last Known Good Configuration remains an option if you cannot resolve your problem by using safe mode.

mrmikeyb1 15:05 06 Jul 05

I really appreciate your help, both of you. I have tried the 'last known good config' didn't work.
I've tried safe mode and all the rest. They didn't work either.
Could you please tell me how to re-enable my graphics card through....BIOS...maybe, or another way if you know.
My computer goes through all the regular stuff of booting up, I can hear it. I just can't see it.
Again, I appreciate any help.

Thanks guys,

Mike

gudgulf 15:23 06 Jul 05

Try booting into safe mode and electing to use system restore to take the system back to before you disabled the graphics card.That should restore all your settings and reenable the graphics card.

If you disabled it in Device Manager you can't reverse the change in the BIOS.

mrmikeyb1 21:32 06 Jul 05

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your help. I did the F8 thing and started in VGA mode and PRESTO!! Enabled my graphics card and all is well in the world again.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Mike

De Marcus 21:58 06 Jul 05

Glad to see you got sorted. Well done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…