Enable DMA for DVD/Cd drive?

blowworm 20:40 26 Jan 03

Hi,
AMD k6/2 350.

Samsung dvd drive,when I go to device manager and tick DMA box for this device the computer restarts but dma box is then unticked.

Have some dvd film software and it tells me the drive isnt dma enabled.

How do I enable it please, the drive does support it?

Tried to watch a dvd with software on my 40gb hdd and it was a joke talk about slow motion!

Put in a secondary 2gb hdd and installed the dvd software on that and the film was a marked improvement but still slow.

Any ideas how to remedy this?

James

Djohn 20:44 26 Jan 03

If a reboot takes the tick out, then your drive is not compatible, sort of failsafe device built in to O/S.

BigMoFoT 20:44 26 Jan 03

Have you watched a DVD on your PC before? Cos it looks to me like your CPU isn't capable!

You can set DMA in BIOS, (well you can on mine - it's a bit more recent though!)

BigMoFoT 20:45 26 Jan 03

Have you watched a DVD on your PC before? Cos it looks to me like your CPU isn't capable!

You can set DMA in BIOS, (well you can on mine - it's a bit more recent though!)

Elrond 20:45 26 Jan 03

What's your graphics card? This will have a huge effect on your dvd viewing i think.

Djohn 20:48 26 Jan 03

Agree, CPU and graphic card is more likley to be the problem.

blowworm 21:49 26 Jan 03

graphics card is a rage pro 2000 or something, just seen an amd k6/2 550 mhz cpu cheap, would it be poss to just swap the cpu? suppose then we get to , will the motherboard take the new one! How do I find this out?? Thanks,James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…