To enable Autoconnect dialup when Firefox starts

griffon 56 16:44 29 Jan 07

Before upgrading to XP from 98SE the dialup connection always started when Firefox or Thunderbird were started. In those days I can't remember setting anything special, it just happened and now it does not. Can anybody tell me of settings I can make to get dialup to connect automatically when the browser or email client is started. Thank you.

Jackcoms 16:53 29 Jan 07

Tools; Internet Options (or whatever it's called in Firefox/Thunderbird); Connections tab and choose 'Always dial my default connection'.

Stuartli 17:13 29 Jan 07

You have to use Internet Options from either Control Panel or Internet Explorer to configure Always Dial My Default Connection.

griffon 56 17:15 29 Jan 07

Hi Jackcoms,
Firefox and Thunderbird haven't got such instructions. Under 'Tools', Options' they have a 'Connections' button in the 'General' tab which shows a dialogue box which has options 'Direct Connection to the Internet', 'Auto-detect proxy settings for this network', 'Manual proxy configuration' and 'Automatic proxy configuration URL' choices. I don't know of a proxy to set up manually and I've tried the first two choices without success. The 'View Network Connections', 'Properties' facility in XP also has no setting like the one you suggest. It's particular to IE isn't it?

griffon 56 17:19 29 Jan 07

Hi Stuartli,

Apologies to both you and Jackcoms. I hadn't seen your reply when I replied. I've found the dialogue box you recommend and it was set to ,'Never dial my internet connection' so there's the answer. It's now set to 'Always....'

Jackcoms 17:19 29 Jan 07

So use the route that Stuartli gave - Control Panel; Network & Internet Connections; Internet Options; Connections tab

Stuartli 18:25 29 Jan 07

You were probably typing whilst we were posting...:-)

Because I have a modem router I have Use Direct Connection Enabled in Firefox (from Tools>Options>Advanced tab>Network).

When I originally started with Firefox it took the place of IE6; as I was on dialup I used FF's facility to transfer the IE Internet Connections confgiuration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…