Empty windows displayed on website pages

Tigga 22:08 20 Jan 03
  Tigga 22:08 20 Jan 03

Just bought my first pc with a 56k modem and I am a complete novice. I am experiencing problems on the Internet, whilst using Microsoft Internet Explorer. I am set up on the Telewest blueyonder cable service. When I click onto options on some web pages, an empty window is displayed. No error message is shown. This is frustrating as I am unable to fully access information on websites and have no idea how to rectify it.

I have noticed that the local area connection icon in the bottom right hand of my screen indicates local area connection is unplugged. What does this mean and is this anything to do with my problem?

Hope someone can help.

jazzypop 22:19 20 Jan 03

Assuming that you are using Telewest's dialup service, and not their broadband cable service, you can safely ignore the 'local area connection' icon. It relates to a network card that is not plugged into another PC, or another network device.

If you mean that when you click a link on a web page, a new page opens without anything being displayed, this may well be because you do not have Java installed, or enabled. (Java is one of the background technologies that is used to display some, but not all, web pages).

If you open Internet Explorer and click on Tools > Internet Options, then click the Advanced tab, you will see a list of boxes with descriptive names.

Scroll down the list and check whether, under the Microsoft VM sub-heading, there is a tick next to 'JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled'. If not, put a tick in the box by left-clicking once. Then click the 'Apply' button, followed by OK. When your PC has restarted, go back to the pages that were causing problems, and check if all is now OK.

If you do not have the entries referred to above, or I have misunderstood your problem, feel free to post again, by using the box at the bottom of this thread.

VoG™ 22:19 20 Jan 03

This should help you:

Quit all programs that are running.

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

VoG™ 22:24 20 Jan 03

Just to make that clearer

Type regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll

then click OK.

Tigga 22:51 20 Jan 03

Jazzypop,

The JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled already has a tick next to it, although has (Requires Restart) after it. Tried to click on Apply, but this option was 'greyed out' so I could not click it. Any ideas?

Vog,

Tried your solution also, but I received an error message - "Cannot find the file (or one of it's components). Is there something I need to do to install this?

Thank you for your help.

VoG™ 22:54 20 Jan 03

Try repairing Internet Explorer click here

Tigga 23:02 20 Jan 03

Vog,

Only a blank page was displayed when I clicked on "click here"!!

jazzypop 23:05 20 Jan 03

Just so that we are not missing the obvious, you have tried to hit the 'Refresh' button if you get a blank page, haven't you?

If the JIT box is already ticked, then it is normal for the Apply button to be greyed out (it will only become active if you make a change, such as unticking the box - not recommended).

It will do no harm to click here and download the Sun Java software, although I think that VoG™ is more likely to have the successful solution for this one :)

VoG™ 23:07 20 Jan 03

Sorry, I have lost count of the number of times that I have made that mistake:

http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318378

Copy the above and paste into the address bar. Delete the space after // and click Go.

jazzypop 23:13 20 Jan 03

As you are having problems with opening new pages, I have taken the liberty of copying and pasting this from the Microsoft website - it is in their KnowledgeBase as Q281679.

I realise that it looks very daunting at first, but is actuually quite straightforward if you break it down and take it one small step at a time -

"You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or
Nothing Happens After You Click a Link

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows XP

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 2000

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows NT 4.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows Millennium Edition

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98 Second Edition

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 2000

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows Millennium Edition

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 98 Second Edition

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 98

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 95

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 2000

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows NT 4.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 98 Second Edition

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 98

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 95

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows NT 4.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 98 Second Edition

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 98

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 95

This article was previously published under Q281679

SYMPTOMS

When you click a hyperlink in an e-mail message or on a Web page, or right-click a hyperlink on a Web page and then click Open in New Window, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

Nothing happens.

The new window may be blank.

You may receive a scripting error message.

When you use the Print command or the Print Preview command in Internet Explorer, nothing may happen.

When you try to connect to Web folders, you may receive the following error message:

The current operation could not be completed because an unexpected error has occurred.

CAUSE

This behavior may occur for any of the following reasons:

The (Default) value setting in one or more of the following registry keys points to an incorrect location for the Urlmon.dll file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9e0-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f1-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f2-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

This may occur if you install a customized version of Internet Explorer that was created with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), 5.5 SP1, or 6.0.

The following registry key is missing or damaged:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

One or more of the following files is missing, damaged, or improperly registered:

Url.dll

Mshtml.dll

Actxprxy.dll

Oleaut32.dll

Shell32.dll

Shdocvw.dll

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:

1. Quit all programs that are running.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

Shdocvw.dll

Msjava.dll

Actxprxy.dll

Oleaut32.dll

Mshtml.dll

Browseui.dll

Shell32.dll

If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

Name: (Default)

Value: IDispatch

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid

Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32

Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

If the problem is still not resolved, reinstall Internet Explorer. If you are using the version of Internet Explorer that is included with your operating system, reinstall or repair your operating system ......... "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…