Empty recycle bin

rotavator 19:33 07 May 03

I have a small problem with clearing my recycle bin. Last year I downloaded a series of photos from a site, after i had used them I deleted all of them and emptied the recycle bin and they all went, I thought. However just recently if I try to empty the bin it comes up with an error message saying XXX cannot be found. Search for XXX and it says it is in the recycle bin but with no other info.
Anybody tell me how you get rid of it ofr good please
Thanks

y_not 20:40 07 May 03

Whenever I have a problem such as yours I re-boot into safe mode and then empty the recycle bin from there.

Usually works - you could also run msconfig or the task manager (depends on O/S) and stop everything running except explorer & systray then try deleting.

Hope it helps

Tony

rotavator 22:03 07 May 03

Thanks Tony
Have tried the safe mode method tonight but without success. Using 98SE

Lú-tzé 22:11 07 May 03

Try running defrag, scandisk and then a registry cleaner such as the one from jv16.org - if that does not work, try getting eraser which securely deletes things.

Gandalph 22:23 07 May 03

Try BestWipe from Jetico it's by far the best deletion software I have ever used. It wipes the whole of the file and not just the information of where it is.

bof:) 22:50 07 May 03

Hi rotavator,

Not sure if this will help but it may be worth a try. If my waste bin icon shows the bin has something in it but when I click and have a look its empty, I do the following:

right click on desktop go to new and then folder and make a new folder on the desktop. Name it anything you like. Drag to waste bin.

Open waste bin...highlight folder and select delete.....although there is only the folder in the waste bin, I get a message saying something like 'do you wish to delete these 5 items?'.

Just click yes and the bin empties.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…