Emprex DRW1008

kerses 16:09 07 Jul 05

Emprex DVD RW DRW1008

Any opinions on this one? Just bought one and seems have problems: not sure if software or hardware, suspect latter. Extremely slow to get going on any function, DVD or CD, even just burning a single file to DVD. Doesn’t want to read a BBC DVD either. Have also tried a “home-recorded” DVD but eventually lousy.
Am on Win XP, proc. is 1.1GHz Athlon; said to require 800MHz+. RAM 512.
Any comments please or advice
kerses

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 16:15 07 Jul 05

have you had a look at click here I brought a Emprex DVD RW DRW1008 when i got it I had probs but updated it now its ok it works well with dvd shrink and nero for me

kerses 17:15 07 Jul 05

Thanks SurfMonkey. Tried that link and hope to go for the update asap. Son-in-law doesn't altogether trust me (at 84) so fitted the drive, etc and we then had this problem. He looked at the update, but it came up with a warning that it might "kill" the drive, so we left it for the moment. Did you not have this problem?
kerses

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 15:19 09 Jul 05

I have updated/flashed my drive on many occasions if you follow the instructions it should be fine if you do close all other applications that are running you can also just us the program at the above mentioned just to see if there is an update you don`t have to continue with the update/flash if you don`t want to. flashing any piece of hardware has this warning come with it, but hey its just as dangerous to cross the road now days.

Mark10 16:47 10 Jul 05

I agree, I have flashed mine about 4 times and have not had any trouble.

kerses 15:39 11 Jul 05

Grateful thanks to SurfMonkey and Mark10 for your help. After my son-in-law spent a lot more time on this at the weekend, he finally decided I had a dud drive. Update and flash went off with no problem, but everything still very slow, sound distorted from known good CD's and DVD's and picture from those also unstable. Anyway went to PC World this a.m. and they gave me a refund, so I am now going to update MOBO, proc etc.
Thanks again to both
kerses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…