employee exit checklist

mcds01 14:44 05 Aug 04

not really a problem but I am the IT Support guy for a small company who has been set up about a couple of years. In the next few days we have an employee leaving use for the first time. I was wondering if you guys could shlp me draw up a list of IT actions that need to be carried out? Eg, disable the account, stop emails etc.... Any help or advice much appreciated.

Baledor 14:57 05 Aug 04

You don't say what sort of setup you have? You say you are a small firm, but do you have a network installed? If so I imagine disabling the account in User Manager would be one of my first jobs, depending on you network OS you can even set an expiry for the profile so it expires on the day the guy leaves (in case you forget or are busy)

Some companies allow the person to leave a day early and only tell them at the end of that day, if they are worried about malicious acts on the network.

You could also change the user account to a limited account if this was your concern.

With regards to emails, you can bounce these back to the senders informing them that the person has left, although I would place caution on that, as there may be communication in them that is relevant to another person or someone who is taking over the leavers role.

mcds01 15:04 05 Aug 04

We have about 45 people working here and all are considered trustworthy. She is leaving to go back to university and on good terms so no reason to suspect malicious acts will occur.

We are running a main network on Linux, with serveral subnetworks off it. The employee is leaving worked in HR so its important that other HR people will have access to her files.

Do you think we should just forward all her emails to her relpacement. I was unsure about this as what if they are personal but at the same time it may regard the company...

mcds01 10:47 06 Aug 04

Disable username and password
Emails? Bounce or forward?
Get forwarding email address
Files – needed by others? If so keep, if not then...
Phone - voicemail etc?
Remove email address from internal mailing lists
Remove name and number from phone number list
User area on main server
Should the machine be wiped?
Machine iteslf? Remove or leave

This is what i think needs to be taken into consideration. can anyone think of anything else?

mcds01 10:57 06 Aug 04

i'll try again:

Disable username and password
Emails? - bouce or forward to another employee
Get forwarding email address
File - needed bt others? If so keep, if not...
Phone- voicemail etc?
Remove email addressfrom internal mailing lists
Remove name and number from phone list
User area on main server
Should the machine be wiped?
Machine itself? Remove or leave

This is what I think needs to be taken into consideration. Can anyone think of anythng else?

mcds01 10:57 06 Aug 04

oh well. forget about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…