Emoticons When Writing Text

sil_ver 20:49 15 Mar 07

When a friend writes to me in IM she will sometimes get an emoticon pop up instead a word as it tries to guess what she means. She asked me how to stop this annoying problem but I've no idea where it came from and can find no program that causes it.

D@ve 21:34 15 Mar 07

Which IM program is she using? If it is Windows Live Messenger then open a chat window, go to tools, emotions. You can remove them all in here.

Most of the default ones are set to key combinations that you would rarely use in a message otherwise such as :) :@ etc. My guess is that her or someone else (children?) have set their own custom emotions to frequent key combinations.

Some people I talk to have loads of them and it is really annoying trying to figure out what they are saying. If you right click the emotion, there will be a button that says 'add'. If you click this, it tells you what key combination they have typed to get it but make sure you don't add it to your own system. It just helps you to figure out what they are trying to say.

sil_ver 21:55 15 Mar 07

What's happening is that if she types the word 'by' it will change to a waving hand. Yes, it is Live Messenger. I think it must be finger trouble as she has no kids at home.

sil_ver 23:08 15 Mar 07

Think your suggestion has worked as it's back to normal now. Cheers friend ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced