Embedded links on sites won't open

farthing 15:11 04 Mar 04

I use BBC.co.uk as my homepage, nearest Station is Solent and on their traffic info they have links to all the traffic cameras round Southampton
If yo click on them you get a picture from the camera. Useful for traffic info. Recently these won't open and I just get a musical clunk from the PC. Similar result if I try to enlarge picture on Curry's website. and alos on links on McAfee's website. Any ideas.I'm running Win98SE'Explorer 6.01,ZoneAlarm Pro. and McAfee Virus software.

Diodorus Siculus 15:31 04 Mar 04

Have you put on a pop-up stopper?

farthing 19:49 04 Mar 04

I haven't knowingly installed a pop-up blocker.
Does it have any other names ?

Diodorus Siculus 19:52 04 Mar 04

click here
- this is a link to repair IE - it might help.

Otherwise, try Mozilla browser.

VoG II 21:40 05 Mar 04

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

OR do you have the Google Toolbar - that has a pop-up stopper built-in.

farthing 11:37 06 Mar 04

1.repairing IE didn't work.
Mozilla does partly.
Yes I have a google toolbar, will try without it
Thanks.

Mike2002 12:19 06 Mar 04

farthing:

Hi. I can relate to your problem, as I've been having exactly the same problem with 98SE, Internet Explorer 6, and Zone Alarm (free edition)

But, as I'm a compulsive 'twiddler', I've probably removed something (possibly) by the over-enthusiastic use of a registry cleaner etc.
Any web pages or javascrips pop-ups that opened in a new window wouldn't work, and I had to to Cut/Paste an embedded link into a new window in order to display it. Of course, you cannot do that with java. I tried 'repairing I.E.6, and even re-installing it, all to no avail. Someone said that the chain of command between Windows and I. E. had possibly become corrupted.

I even installed the Sun java program, but that didn't work either.

I realise that your circumstances and Setup is nor identical to mine. ButI cured the problem (without without expecting to) as a by-poduct of re-installing my Corel WordPerfect program!
All I can think of is that I must have, at some earlier time, replaced some essential .dll files at some stage by earlier versions etc.

Have you done anything recently, deleted anything etc, that you can think of that may have had an effect?
In my case, if I hadn't cured it by accident, I would have gone for a full reformat and reinstallation of Windows. I know, it's a lot of work to do this, but Windows does go unstable in time. I've got to do this in any case, as my File Associations are up the creek, and Windows refuses to remember my window display settings.

For me, one consolation though, once I've reinstalled everything on a small Partition that my son set up for me, I'll be able to back it up entirely on a single CD-R and reinstall it in minutes if the system goes wonky again.

Regards,
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…