emails sent from my contacts list

dobber 1 00:46 28 Feb 10

Last year I received a mail via a friend of mine which asked how I was, and recommended a web site which had some good offers. I can't remember if I opened it, but I must have.
Now every so often this email is sent automatically without my knowledge from me to a number of random contacts from my contacts list. Sometimes it can be as many as 30. Not only is it embarressing, but I am concerned whether the security of my system has been compromised. Is there any way of disabling whatever the cause is?

birdface 06:49 28 Feb 10

It may not be your computer that is at fault it may be one of your friends.
Maybe change your e-mail address and password if using hotmail.

ame 10:46 28 Feb 10

You do not say what, if any, security software you have on your pc. If none, download malwarebytes from MajorGeeks click here and do a full scan of your pc.

provider 2 11:56 28 Feb 10

Any help? click here

dobber 1 12:19 28 Feb 10

Hi Guys, I have BT Net Protect which uses McAfee security.
I have now deleted all my contacts from the list (having printed them off first), to see if this works.

ame 10:11 01 Mar 10

No one security package catches everything. McAfee will give you real-time protection, but Malwarebytes is a free scan-on-demand anti-malware program you can update and run every so often as a double check. It is well respected on these forums. No harm in trying it.

dobber 1 11:48 01 Mar 10

Thanks ame, I'll give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…