Emails Returned That Were Never Sent

special sophie 12:14 11 Apr 03

Hi Everyone my friend has recently been recieveing retyurned emails that she never sent in the first place. I told her to contact her ISP which is BT and they seemed to have solved the problem for a couple of days then they started again BT seem to think it's a virus what do you guys and gals think ??? Thank you xx

Confab 12:22 11 Apr 03

Sounds like it could be the Klez Virus. This virus can send out mails from someones PC but with your friends e-mail address in the from box. So if any mails are returned they go to your friend.

Amber

Totally-braindead 12:22 11 Apr 03

There are viruses which will "hijack" your address book, and there are people who will "hijack" your email address so it could be either. Ensure your friend has fully up to date antivirus software installled on their computer and get them to run it, that should tell you if its a virus problem or not.

hgrock 12:25 11 Apr 03

i have the same problem, it is spam if yo block it it returns laterunder a different guise, don't open it just delete it, got to live with it. or use message rules in IE to delete anything from that sender, but be careful check that the sender's address is not your exact email address because u could have a problem i think if you delete everything sent from your address

special sophie 12:26 11 Apr 03

Thanks just one more question if it is a virus would it infect the whole address book because i have recieved emails from her and I have a fully updated virus scanner on my system and it has detected no viruses

Confab 12:29 11 Apr 03

No if its Klez it wont be on her machine.

Confab 12:30 11 Apr 03

No its not spam. spam is unwanted mail, this is mail being returned that has not been sent.

special sophie 12:41 11 Apr 03

Sorry Amber not sure what you mean by "if its klez it wont be on her machine"

special sophie 12:47 11 Apr 03

Sorry again amber i see what you mean now

Confab 12:51 11 Apr 03

Sorry I should have explained. If its the Klez virus or a variant of this then the virus will be on someone elses machine. It will send out mails from his/her machine but pretending to be from your friends by putting her email address in the from box. Any retuned mail will be recieved by your friend but she will be virus free and so will you if you have recieve any mail from her.

Regards

special sophie 14:45 11 Apr 03

Thanks amber

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…