EMails cannot sort into date order in folder

prince midas 09:58 19 Aug 08

I wish to save my old emails so I transfered them to a new folder. But although they are sorted as created by date order they will not sort into date order on my new folder just into name order which I do not want. How do I get them to sort into date received order.
Help please.

mgmcc 11:42 19 Aug 08

In the new folder, clicking the "Received" column header should sort the contents by date received. Clicking it again will toggle between oldest or newest date first.

prince midas 16:50 19 Aug 08

I made a new folder which I called Saved EMails on my hard drive.

I then using oulook express I went onto to the internet to mail outlook express and opened my existing emails .I then dragged them into the folder. It only shows Name and date saved and this is why I cannot use received which is not in this folder.It is only in outlook express on the internet.

mgmcc 17:22 19 Aug 08

Right click the bar with the Column headers on and select the "Columns" option. Tick the box for "Received" and it should then be available.

mgmcc 17:27 19 Aug 08

If you have created your new folder *OUTSIDE* of Outlook Express, then you won't have the option to create a column for the date received. You could try using the "Date Created" option.

DieSse 17:38 19 Aug 08

mgmcc is quite right.

You saved them as individual files, and date received is not part of a file's properties, so you can't do it.

In Outlook express, all the emails are in a single file, which is a database. This database can be sorted in many different ways.

The Date Created Property, will be the date you saved them - so won't help you, of course.

DieSse 17:43 19 Aug 08

The best way to save old emails , to keep you Inbox tidy, is to create an "Old Mails" folder in Outlook Express - and move them to there.

Then they can be kept in all the standard orders that POE allows.

I don't understand the desire to save emails outside the client that I've also seen elsewhere in this forum. Just keep them in OE.

Since you will (should!) be backing up anyway, you will have a security copy in your backup, as well as the "tidied up" versions in OE folders.

DieSse 17:44 19 Aug 08

Then they can be kept in all the standard orders that OE allows. Sorry about the typo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017