emails to btinternet address don't arrive

palinka 16:22 01 Oct 09

I had a problem emailing 2 friends who had btinternet addresses – and the solution in both cases was that they had inadvertently put my address into their blocked senders list.
Today I went to see another friend on btinternet who has also been unable to receive my emails. I expected to find a similar solution, but I checked all possible options on his computer & his problem is clearly not the same. I can’t work out any way of emailing him.
He is on Vista , as I am, and uses Windows Mail, as I do.
My mails to him simply do not arrive. Not even when I send a reply to one of his.
Because I use a domain name I’ve now tried sending from my real (Pipex) email address, using Pipex Webmail, on the off chance that it was the domain name that was causing the problem – but those webmails bounce back to me with an error message. (at least they bounce, so I know what's happening)
I still have an old Tiscali address, from way back when I was on a dial-up connection; I’ve just sent a message via that. It hasn’t bounced - yet.
If it gets through then I have a solution – of a sort; but has anyone else had my experience with BT, and if so, what was the solution?

Bapou 17:43 01 Oct 09

When upgrading to BT Broadband account from dialup BTOpenworld, 2 years ago, in addition to the address @btopenworld.com I was given, @BTINTERNET.com.

Rather than inform contacts about the BTInternet address I just kept outgoing mail addressed as [email protected] Strange thing was it would arrive saying from [email protected].

If a contact typed a reply within the message I would receive it ok. Problem came when contacts started using [email protected] in new messages they never arrived.

I phoned BT to rectify this confusion and result was, my outgoing mail now arrives saying from [email protected]

To BT admin I'm still @BTINTERNET but at least my contacts have no further problems.

Confused? I still am.

Technotiger 18:00 01 Oct 09

Get your friend to have a look in Yahoo mail for your bt.internet mails.

I too am with BT for my broadband and so have a bt.internet address which I never use - trouble is BT will insist on sending some emails to me via the bt.internet address. (I use hotmail) Every so often I look in Yahoo mail to see if there are any from BT for me.

Technotiger 18:45 01 Oct 09

BT and Yahoo are 'joined-at-the-hip' ... I have just looked on Yahoo and sure enough there was a mail for me from BTInternet dated mid September, fortunately nothing important.

palinka 20:29 20 Jan 10

I've written a crib-sheet which I now send out (By post)to anyone who writes to me from a yahoo or BTInternet address. It describes, step by step, with illustrations, exactly how to change the settings in webmail so that my emails to them will not end up in Trash or Spam. I've had to send it to about 15 people to-date.
Meanwhile, I email them from a spare Tiscali account that I have, asking them to email me when they've made the change and I can then send a test email.
It's a very simple change that has cured the problem in all cases.
But sorry, it doesn't solve Bapou's problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now