Emails blocked and email address hijacked

DIYgirl 08:12 12 Feb 04

I have recieved several "mail delivery failure notification" messages of one sort or another over the last week or so, advising me that a message I supposedly sent has been rejected by recipient as it contains a virus. These emails have not been sent by me: someone is using the part of my email address after the @ sign, with a different name tacked onto the front (so far, 7 or 8 different names).

Now some of the legitimate emails that I have tried to send are not going through. I get the following error message:

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'XXXX'. Subject 'Re: ', Account: 'Jane's account', Server: 'smtp.freeserve.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Administrative prohibition', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

I've replaced the email address it was going to with XXX.

Is this due to the porblem emails? Will it go away? (!) This coincided with our dial-up service (Evesham) changing all their settings, so I had to alter my connection settings.

Some of the emails I send go through fine. About half don't.

I can't change my email address, as it is in a lot of ads that I have placed (we sell peacocks, if anyone is interested in buying some). What can I do?

Blokka 08:43 12 Feb 04

I have had replies from people saying that the message is undeliverable too but i know that i havent sent them.
This is down to a virus called "mydoom" i believe, although ill stand corrected, just make sure your anti virus is uptodate and check your address book, as i found when i was infected with the virus in question, it decided to put the infected contacts in my address book without me knowing, i hope that helps but as far as stopping it i still keep getting the odd infected email being sent so i dont know if you can do much there

DIYgirl 09:42 12 Feb 04

Thanks, Blokka. I will check my address book, good tip.

My main problem isn't the infected messages that someone else is sending out--it is the fact that my own "real" emails won't now go through. Any ideas?

nick_j007 11:27 12 Feb 04

Hmmm,

I'm no expert but are you up to date with a good anti-virus?
I too get quite a few of these 'undeliverable' mail messages, but as I know it wasn't sent by me so I add them to my blocked senders list.
BTW, when adding to the blocked senders list it will say 'are you sure you want to add joe bloggs to your blocked list?'
The name Joe Bloggs will give the name away as it will be a name you know not to be one you are in correspondance with.

As you have had to change your email settings recently, this may be to fault (?)
Speak to them further maybe if half of them are not geeting out.

If you're attaching something to your email.. that can make some recipients email bounce it back to you as it does not pass their virus control procedure.

Oh dear, might we all be forced back to pen and paper?!

Good luck,

Nick

ddd3 13:13 12 Feb 04

You might have to 'phone Evesham. It actually sounds a little as though some mail servers are rejecting you as a 'known threat', but Evesham are the best people to sort out what the rejection message actually means.

I had a 'Virus rejection' mail, and the account it was supposedly sent from can't send mail! I use it specifically to track spam, and the 'sendmail' settings are just gibberish.

Meanwhile keep up to date with Microsoft, and don't open any attachments that you weren't expecting to receive, no matter how friendly they look.

DIYgirl 14:06 12 Feb 04

I have Norton AV installed, fully updated. I have checked for the Mydoom virus using their patch and have been told that my computer is clean.

I don't want to blacklist the mail failure message as then I won't get any messages from them about emails I have really sent. I use Mailwasher, so can delete them easily if they don't apply to me.

I have phoned Evesham who can find nothing wrong with my connections etc. What next?

WiLL-A 14:15 12 Feb 04
  Newuser4165 14:30 12 Feb 04

I think it was Rick Maybury who wrote about this in the Telegraph last week.I can't locate the actual link.
It is caused by an "autorespond procedure" in Outlook Express.He wishes everyone would turn it off as it just generates masses of unnecessary emails - just like the ones you have been receiving

FEEBS 15:36 12 Feb 04

I had this same problem about 1 year ago. It was a virus called Bugbear and PC World gave me a programme to fix it called bgbear.exe and it worked. I then found that the identity of the rogue sender (ie before the @) was able to be removed from OE by File->Identities->Manage identities, then remove the offending name. Hope this helps

961 16:03 12 Feb 04

Because the e-mail world is riddled with trouble just now life is a pain especially if you need to use e-mail for business

Here's a list of things to consider...

Have you tried running an on line virus check with another company from Norton? Most of them will do this for free now. Make sure your Norton jobbie is turned off before the on line one is started

Test your firewall at click here and if you are using Windows xp use the small downloads on that site to disable various xp leaks that they will test for

If you are not using spybot search and destroy and spywareblaster download them and clear your system

It is worth trying a second pay as you go ISP to see if the same problems exist on another dial up. This will eliminate the possibility that the ISP is the problem. Set up the second one manually from settings described on their web site. Don't use auto config or you will b. up your existing ISP

Wesme 18:48 27 Feb 04

I'm also getting this problem constantly over the last 10 days (18 returned messages in one day!) despite daily updating of Norton and running virus checker every day. Is this going to go away on its own or do I need to do something myself?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…