Emailing to address lists

splinternet 14 Oct 10

I'm trying to start my own business and have emailed all my friends with a flyer. I often receive email "funnies" from people I know who don't hide all the other email addresses they've sent to - I have no idea who these people are - but I would like to email my flyer to them as well.

Is this perhaps a legal breach of email privacy or something similar?

uk-wizard 10 Jan 11

Could be construed as spam, at best a dodgy practise. You may also be blocked from some ISPs as a 'spam address' and you will not be able to email to anyone with that ISP's address.
Not really a good idea.

Forum Editor 10 Jan 11

marketing emails to people without their prior consent. If you do, you'll fall foul of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

In broad terms you need prior consent to send such mail to named individuals, so don't do it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message