email and website slow to connect.

geedad 12:43 04 Nov 08

I am experiencing a a slow connection when first stating to use email or my ntl website.
Starting and closing down my PC is NO PROBLEM AT ALL. It is just the case of the email and website connection - it takes about 45 minutes before it realises it should start!
I DO have AVG installed and also Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware and a few others, BUT... they have been there for a long time with no prior problem.
I regularly use Disk Cleaner, CCleaner and Windows Defragmenter.
I have a 3GHz Intel Pentium 4 HT, ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card, and 160 GB drive, using Windows XP Home, SP2.
Can anyone help, please?

geedad

PS. This is what I get.......

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. etc.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rahere 12:51 04 Nov 08

Have you recyled your router recently?

It's just a simple case of turning it off waiting for 5 minutes and restarting it - sometimes it's all you need to do!

T I M B O 12:56 04 Nov 08

Or turning off ur firewall for a moment or even ur antifirus and see what happens.

birdface 13:03 04 Nov 08

Virgin has had problems since the last Microsoft crucial update.Maybe have a look around other threads and see If they have found a solution.Or try Run .type in cmd Ok.When that opens type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between the ipconfig and the forward slash.it should tell you DNS has been flushed see if that helps at all.

birdface 13:10 04 Nov 08

Now if you are bored you could have a look through this.Starting with the last page.click here

geedad 19:37 04 Nov 08

Rahere.
TIMBO.
buteman.
Many thanks to you all for your contributions. I think I omitted to state that once the connection starts, I can access any website,including Virgin, EXCEPT MY EBILLING ACCOUNT!!
Virgin ststed that they have issues in my area which may be causing the problem, but that does not sound logical.
I just get an instant " TIMED OUT" message, even though I have spent NO TIME AT ALL when trying to access it!!
Strange.....?????
geedad

birdface 19:43 04 Nov 08

Problems all over the country with Virgin I think.Just a matter of waiting for them or Microsoft to fix it.If using I/E try Firefox and see if it is better on there.You can always go back to IE when it is fixed.

geedad 20:25 04 Nov 08

buteman
Thanks.
The latest telephone call to Virgin ( 30 mins. ago).
They suggest that my Firewall, AntiVirus or Spyware program may be the culprit. I do have about six. I may disable them one by one to test their theory... as another member stated, it could be a long day.................!
Thanks for your time, again.
geedad

birdface 10:51 06 Nov 08

You don't have avg doing a scan at start up do you.If so Remove the automatic scan and scan manually.Nice little tick on it that will shut down computer when scan is finished so you can scan when you are going out or going for dinner anything like that.Go into Taskmanager and see what programs are using up all of the CPU. If nothing running System Idle process should be showing about 97% that is normal.Speed test that Virgin Engineers use. click here That will tell you if you are getting the correct download speeds.Maybe your drivers needing updated.This one is free.click here

geedad 19:55 06 Nov 08

buteman
Thanks for the extra suggestions. My BB download speed is 1966 Kbps, and upload 192 Kbps.
(Thanks for the click on here!)
Just going to check AVG. I KNOW it checks emails, since it appears bottom right-hand corner, showing the run-down of new e-mails.
Will give it a try!
geedad

birdface 20:48 06 Nov 08

To disable scans.Tools.Advanced settings.Schedules.Scheduled Scan.Untick enable this task.Apply.Now when you are about to run a manual scan.Click on. change scan settings.Then additional scan setting.And tick the box saying shut down computer upon scan completion.Ok.And thats it.You can go for walkies then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac