Email Spam Risks

AP22 11:59 31 Jan 04

Like many I am deluged with spam. The latest pattern seems to be random "real" names as from addresses and subject lines that don't seem to be caught by the filters I have set.

My query concerns what constitutes "opening" an email. If I right click, select properties and read the header and message source, does this open me to viruses? Similarly, if I indavertently open an email for reading (NOT any attachment of course) can this trigger viruses or worse?

Diodorus Siculus 12:02 31 Jan 04

It should not trigger a virus if you have an uptodate virus checker and all relevant MS updates - unless a new one is released that can do this.

Get something like mailwasher - it will check what is on your server and then you can view headers, text etc without any risk. Any spam can then be deleted.

palinka 18:07 31 Jan 04

I use the same method (properties/message source/details)and it seems to be OK. I also advise my friends to turn off the preview pane to avoid emails opening "by themselves". In OE go to View>layout>then untick Show Preview Pane. Click apply then OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…