email settings with BT Broadband

pete47 21:37 16 Feb 04

I recently signed up with Fasthosts ISP for some web hosting and email, however when setting up an email account in Outlook Fasthosts say they cannot provide me with the SMTP bit to send email. They say this should be provided by BT with whom I have my broadband connection . BT say I can only use webmail. I also have another domain and email with 1&1 and this works fine in Outlook with the settings they provide.

Any ideas?
Many thanks
Pete Hansford.

LastChip 22:20 16 Feb 04

The outbound mail (send) will always be connected to whoever you use as a INTERNET service provider (ISP).

I am unclear from your post, whether you mean BT is the Internet service provider, or simply the provider of broadband to your home.

To try and clarify further, BT provides broadband to me, but I use Pipex as an ISP.

I also have multiple e-mail addresses for various reasons. Each e-mail address is configured to send the mail via Pipex, (because that's who I am always connected to, but each individual (received) e-mail, is configured via it's respective server. I hope that makes sense!

pete47 22:36 16 Feb 04

LastChip,
Thanks for the reply,BT is simply the provider of broadband to me. Fasthosts ISP provide an smtp setting but this will only work if I use the Fasthosts dial up which i do not need.
Am I missing something here??

southwood 19:04 23 Jun 04

As you say BTbroadband Basic does NOT provide an email server.
An alternative is to install your own SMTP server on your PC courtesy of click here
PostCast Server is a free SMTP mail server program that enables you to send e-mail messages directly from your computer.
It does exactly what it claims and enables you to keep your existing ISP POP email addresses which can still be accessed via BTbroadband.

It worked for me !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…