Email Settings

Large JD 23:03 06 Nov 05

I am trying to configure some email settings for a friend, on their new laptop, can anybody help?
When i try to download emails from the account described below, the box appears stating that the password is incorrect. I know this is not the case as i can access the email account using this password via the web on my pc
They are using OE, ISP is Tiscali pay as you go, but the email address is a "yahoo" Can anyone help me with the incoming "pop" & outgoing "smtp" settings + any other useful advise.

mgmcc 23:30 06 Nov 05

Yahoo is essentially a "web-based" email service intended to be used interactively with a web browser while online, not in conjunction with a server based (POP3/SMTP) program such as Outlook Express.

Having said that, I believe that there is an option to use Yahoo with POP3/SMTP protocols, but this is a paid for additional service.

w1z8rd 03:17 07 Nov 05

you can use yahoo with OE without paying extra,
if you sign on to their yahoo account there's an "options" link on the right, click on that, then click on "Pop access and forwarding" then click on "view Pop settings" where there's settings [obviously] and links to setting up accounts in various e-mail programmes

octal 07:10 07 Nov 05

I've got a Yahoo account which I access using Thunderbird via pop3, but it seems any new accounts you have to use web mail to access them, there doesn't' seem like there is a option for pop3 access anymore.
If its a .co.uk account you might try entering

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk

If that doesn't work the only option is to use a programme called FreePops which will retrieve mail from any web based account click here which is very easy to set up.

Large JD 17:26 07 Nov 05

Many Thanks for your help. I've tried the pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk no luck. I will look at the yahoo site, if that doesn,t sort it my friend will have to access their mail on this account via the web.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…