email scam

Rogerfredo 16:28 05 Mar 10

My wife regularly sends an email to a friend in Australia. We have just received an email purporting to come from her saying that she is currently in London on business and has been mugged on her way back to the hotel, and requesting we send her $3000 to help with her flight home etc.
I have heard of similar scams before but never received one supposedly from a friend. How do they get our email address? Would it be from hacking into her computer or her Hotmail account?

Batch 18:22 05 Mar 10

Basically 3 possibilities:

a) your computer is compromised.

b) her comptuer is compromised.

c) someone somewhere between the two is accessing emails between the two of you. Could be at your ISP or could be her hotmail account or ...

lotvic 18:39 05 Mar 10

or someone elses who has you both on their address list. Easily done via those 'Round Robin' emails that lots of people forward and forward and forward on.

Woolwell 18:51 05 Mar 10

It is not unknown for hotmail accounts to be hacked. It is also possible that a spammer is spoofing the e-mail address and I think this the most likely.

Rogerfredo 10:10 06 Mar 10

Thanks for your responses. Since posting I have heard from others on the friend's contacts who have received the same message. So it appears that her computer is suspect.

Woolwell 10:18 06 Mar 10

Her computer may not be suspect. On 2 occasions my son's hotmail accounts has been either hacked or spoofed with spam and on both occasions his system was clear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…