Email rules

Rand Al Thor 08:57 05 Sep 05

I have been getting a lot of spam where the subject begins Re[a number]:
I would like to set up a rule to delete this type of email but seem unable to. I use Outlook Express. Any thoughts?

Diodorus Siculus 09:17 05 Sep 05

Don't know about OE. Why not take a look at mailwasher - free version:

click here

johnnyrocker 09:59 05 Sep 05

what happens when you select tools/message rules?

Fellsider 10:34 05 Sep 05

As spammers will alter the full details in the subject line this can be difficult, one suggestion would be to -

Set up a new message rule as follows:-

Tick 'Where the Subject line contains specific words' and in section 3 enter 'Re'

Tick what you want to do with it in section 2

BUT bear in mind this will also reject replies to your own e-mails by people that you have mailed as replies prefix the subject with Re.

Rand Al Thor 13:18 05 Sep 05

The problem is that the rule does not recognise the [] brackets. I have tried Re, but it affects anything with re in the word. Not very helpful. I think I may have to resort to something like Mailwasher. Ah well ces't la vie. Many thanks for the replies.

johnnyrocker 13:34 05 Sep 05

what about using quotation marks or plain brackets.?

recap 13:40 05 Sep 05

Set up Message rules for all of your contacts. It can take some time but is worth the effort. Once all rules are set for your contacts the only mail that should come in to your inbox are the spam ones.

interzone55 16:47 05 Sep 05

Does your ISP have a webmail facility?

I now check my mail online first and delete any rubbish before I download it into Thunderbird.

Terry Brown 17:41 05 Sep 05

I have amuch simpler solution. I set up Rules to filter out all the people I want to receive mail from (each person , contact,family etc) has there own rule and folder, and I go direct to who I want. Any spam goes straight into the inbox, where a quick check to see if there is anything I want, then delete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…