Email received

From gra80.

Please start a new subject instead of Emailing me.

Regards, Graham

thisisnighthawk 10:57 20 Jan 04

not sure what to say, or has someone got out of the wrong side of the bed...

at the end of the day, life is too short..

Message 'I have Win2000 and 256ram PentiumIII,SP4,Norton AntiVirus2003 fully updated (despite svchost.exe error popping up), The "svchost.exe has generated errors-a log has been created" error is appearing after a full format & clean install of operating system,...when it appears it is impossible to disconnect in the usual way,the only way is to switch off!!, sometimes it will stop proper operation of a download, but I have managed to update Norton 2003 and download SP6 from microsoft,I have done a complete sweep with Norton and found no virus, however while downloading I have had an occasional `Messenger Service`pop-up, i.e "Hi i`m Julieanne" etc etc and have immediately cancelled this pop-up by clicking on `X`in top right of pop-up, I dind`nt open it!. I thought I would have got rid of the problem by a clean install!.'

Chegs ® 11:12 20 Jan 04

This is starting to become the "accepted" way forum users try to sort their troubles.I have ceased checking my junkmail folders,as in the last few days each time I responded in a thread,I got several emails from members,not from the postee of the thread either,asking howto....

I dont care if these folk find my attitude a bit blunt,this forum is to get pc help,the idea being that members read the post and offer advice,there are 129,000 members,most of whom know enough to offer a solution via the forum.What is the point in emailing ONE member,when 129,000 brains will sort it somehow?

Exactly. I don't mind the Emails, it's just that usually the questions are not in my knowledge base. (What is, I hear you cry).

plsndrs3 11:28 20 Jan 04

I agree entirely. The issue of 'private' emails asking for help is becoming a bit of a concern - if everyone did this, the forum would have little purpose.

Also, the idea of contacting one person instead of the thousands on the Forum is well made. Often others see things that some can miss, can suggest better/faster solutions, can suggest other alternatives to consider or can correct an earlier post. It also gives the person with the problem more chance of a solution - the individual emailed could be offline.

All Forumites - let's use this excellent service as it was always intended. I believe from an earlier posting thet FE may be reviewing the contact procedure as we type ....

Regards,

Paul

Can anyone help with the problem? A search for 'svchost' reveals 25 subjects.

Big Elf 11:40 20 Jan 04

1. Try a pop up stopper. I don't use one myself so can't recommend one. There's one available from Google though.

2. Try Grisoft AVG Free edition from click here instead of Norton (making sure that Norton is completely uninstalled first).

plsndrs3 11:47 20 Jan 04

Could be that spyware, updates or Messenger is refusing to allow disconnect. SVCHOST is a multi-purpose piece of Windows background software and trying to tie this down would be a very long process.

Would recommend sweeping with Spybot S&D click here , Ad aware click here , installing shoot the messenger click here to stop Messenger [unless it is used] and running MSCONFIG to see what is running & deleting all unneeded programs.

This is a good start - but we need to know what happens after this.

HTH

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…