email question please

ole1999 17:48 25 Sep 04

Is it possible to retrieve an email once it has been sent, i seem to recall a friend sending me one some time ago and realised it was the wrong one so he got it back before i had chance to open it...just maybe i was wrong, would be interested to know and if so how?
Thanks

Graham ® 17:53 25 Sep 04

Sorry, it's not possible to prevent an email being delivered once it's sent.

palinka 17:53 25 Sep 04

I'm not an expert, but I know of no way of retrieving an email along the lines you suggest.

I receive emails from a local Council and very occasionally the sender wants to do the equivalent of your suggestion; what they do is send a separate email that reads "X wishes to withdraw email such & such subject, sent...".

Which rather seems to confirm my belief that it isn't possible to retrieve emails sent in error.

hugh-265156 17:54 25 Sep 04

not that i know off. once you click send its gone and there is nothing you can do about it. unless... if you use outlook express try clicking 'tools/options/send' and untick 'send messages immediatly' what will happen now is insted of sending straight away when you click send, it puts the email into your outbox and its not sent untill you click 'send recieve all' on the toolbar. this will give you a chance to correct the messege or delete it if you click send by mistake.

ole1999 18:21 25 Sep 04

Thanks for the replies guys, i really could of sworn my friend did do it once before ( i cant ask him dont see him much now ), but i certainly wont argue with the experts lol
cheers

beeuuem 18:56 25 Sep 04

With Outlook, you can recall messages—sometimes. This feature has some major limitations: It requires Exchange server, the addressee has to be logged on and using Outlook, and the message has to be unread and sitting in the recipient's in-box. But the fact that it works at all makes it worth knowing about.

To (try to) delete or change a sent message, go to your Sent Items folder and open the message. In the message window, choose Actions | Recall This Message. Then choose Delete Unread Copies of This Message or Delete Unread Copies and Replace With a New Message, as appropriate. If you choose to replace the message, choose OK and type the new message. To find out whether the change or deletion worked, check the Tell Me If Recall Succeeds or Fails for Each Recipient check box.

Pidder 19:20 25 Sep 04

The only time I stopped an e-mail after clicking send was when it had a large attachment, a jpeg photo I believe, and caught it before it had all gone.

hugh-265156 19:29 25 Sep 04

most interesting beeuuem thanks. i use outlook and never knew that.

ole1999 20:22 25 Sep 04

yes beeuuem thanks, but i use incredimail, weather you can do the same i'm not sure!

CurlyWhirly 00:14 26 Sep 04

I am using AOL 9 and there is an option called UNSEND but this only works with e-mails sent to other AOL members.

end 00:27 26 Sep 04

I know it is a bit of a "long-shot", but the rather odd thought has occurred to me;

if you are desperate to get it back, would such as MI6 or similar "have ways" of so doing? or knowing:)
and, yes, I am serious; was thinking "wildly" , then thought " why NOT??"

OK "floor" , what thinkest thou on that idea:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…