email to pc then laptop?

rosie12 11:31 25 May 06

Hi, If I am out and using my laptop and download my e-mail via outlook express, does that mean that when I go to use my PC at home I can't download them a 2nd. time. In other words can I keep the same e-mails on my PC and Laptop...I am using win xp on both machines.....Thanks

Taff™ 11:45 25 May 06

Yes it does. You need to set up the laptop to "Leave a copy on the server"

Taff™ 11:47 25 May 06

Tools>Accounts then select your account - Properties>Advanced Tab.

rosie12 12:01 25 May 06

Thanks for your answer, but does this mean I only do that setting on the laptop and not the PC? sorry to sound so thick!!

namtas 12:36 25 May 06

No you can set it up each of your computers to save copy on the server. the only drawback if it is a drawback is that you get repeat copies of every mail onto every computer.

Taff™ 14:04 25 May 06

It depends what you want. namtas points out that you can do it on both machines so that both computers have copies of all the e-mails. There is another drawback to this, eventually your mailbox with your ISP will fill up to it`s limit.

When I was office based I used to download all e-mails to my office machine. If I was out of the office for a few days, setting the laptop to leave a copy on the server allowed me to receive e-mail copies and respond if necessary. When I returned to the office machine it would then download all the messages so they were all in one place.

If you do want to have copies on both machines you could use Mailwasher which basically previews your e-mails on your server and allows you to delete them when you have copies on both machines. Post back if this interests you.

Woolwell 14:28 25 May 06

One of the things to consider doing is using web-mail while you are away to read your e-mails and then downloading to OE on your PC when at home

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…