Email notifications to posts I have replied to

FatboySlim71 11:39 15 Sep 08

I was just wondering if it is possible to have a email notification to be sent out for new replies in topics that have not been started by a member but the member has posted a reply to that topic.

I know most if not all other forums I am a member on have this feature, I just wondered if there was anything similar planned for this forum or if there is a way now to do this.

Maybe the Forum Editor could help with this?

bluto1 19:10 15 Sep 08

You can view every postig you made and every reply to other posts that you've made in "My Postings" top right of this page beside My Profile.

FatboySlim71 20:36 15 Sep 08

Thanks bluto1 but I knew that already,

For example, if I have replied to a few topics (which I regularly do) you basically have to do what you have suggested to see if there has been any replies.

I had an idea that it wouldn't be possible but I thought the forum editor may know of any future plans to incorporate a feature similar to what I mention at the beginning of this post.

Like I mentioned earlier, most if not all other forums I am a member on have the feature that sends an email notification telling you of any new posts to both topics you started or topics that you posted a reply on.

Sea Urchin 21:31 15 Sep 08

I think it's a good idea. Have you contacted the FE direct?

DieSse 21:38 15 Sep 08

Personally I log straight in to the My Postings section (my shortcut takes me to that page as my first page) - then I can immediately see whether any topics I've been active in have changed since I last logged in.

Achieves what you want with no special effort on anyone's part.

FatboySlim71 21:42 15 Sep 08

I just think it would be much easier to have email notifications as to any new replies, most other forums have this feature anyway.

Thanks for the tip Sea Urchin, I think I'll contact the Forum Editor now and see what they say.

FatboySlim71 21:52 15 Sep 08

I have just contacted the Forum Editor now. I will update when I get a reply.

FatboySlim71 23:14 15 Sep 08

Just to update. I got reply back off of the FE, he said,

"I'm not sure what would be the point of sending you an email when you responded in someone else's thread - you would know when you did that."

DieSse 23:22 15 Sep 08

I agree with FE here (oh no - not again) ;-))

I get enough emails without another one for every time there's a reply in a thread I've contributed to. And how does it help if I check my emails to see several about threads - I'm not going to click on each one. I'm going to log in and look at My Postings to see what's happening - which is what I do anyway!

DieSse 23:24 15 Sep 08

PS imagine a thread with over 200 posts - they do happen - and you've contributed - how many emails are you going to get - no ta very much.

Taff™ 23:27 15 Sep 08

When you get people who post a thread and simply don`t ever respond to forum responses thereafter, it`s difficult to justify. Basically you`re looking for a "watching" feature and I can`t see the necessity. As someone said earlier just check My Postings and you will see if there has been any activity on those you posted to.

Typically, I suggest, 80% of the responses to any post are within 48 hours of the original. I personally don`t really need an e-mail every time someone posts to a topic again - I`ve enough to do sorting out the spam! Imagine one thread which 20 people respond to in that 48 hours - one identical e-mail every time to alert you and every other unique poster? If you are really interested in that thread keep track of it yourself.

Logistically - I`ll wait for FE`s comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…