EMAIL MULTIPLIES RANDOMLY WHEN SENDING IN OE

leicester tigs 23:50 07 Sep 05

For the last week, each time I send out an email using Outlook express Version 6 running Windows XP my emails multiplies by 30 plus upto anything like 60 something times. This only happens if I attach files such as jpeg, zips, docs etc.
The recipiant of my email can not open the attachment properly, for instance my .doc file has an extra extension i.e myfile.doc.dat and so on.

When I send emails without attachments this problem does not occur, so I am at a loss as to why this has suddenly happened and I have sent the same attachments perfectly OK before.

The recipient also receives the large number of emails which is very frustrating as this fills up their in box quickly and I get the same amount of messages saying it fails to deliver to recipient but some of them do get through.

I have performed a full antivirus scan and have downloaded the latest live updates for this. I have checked my settings for OE and I have also tried sending my emails with the Norton firewall and antivirus disabled in case it was that which is causing this. Please help as I can not use my email to send anything that needs an attachment.

leicester tig

johnnyrocker 00:25 08 Sep 05

try deleting/recreating the account and as a test mail yourself with attachments and see what happens before inflicting it on others in case it does not work

johnny.

leicester tigs 20:44 08 Sep 05

Thanks, but tried that already and it still doesn't work.

VoG II 20:58 08 Sep 05

Increase the length for server time-outs

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.

Select the account, and then click Properties.

On the Advanced tab, in the Server Timeouts area, move the slider to the right.

leicester tigs 21:46 08 Sep 05

Thanks, I have done that and its still doing the same thing. What does the longer timeout do or what do you think is causing the multiple emails to be created? do I need much longer timeout that 5 minutes?

GaT7 21:52 08 Sep 05

Repair/reinstall IE & OE by using these methods click here, checking to see if there is a change after each, before doing the next. G

Thalmus 21:52 08 Sep 05

A simlar problem is reported here click here

leicester tigs 09:53 13 Sep 05

Thanks for both advice, I did the reinstall and still not working. I then abandoned and uninstalled OE and have installed Outlook instead, it gives me the same result multiplying with attachments. So I am going to trying changing the Virus software later on to see if it works. Will keep you posted.

wee eddie 10:18 13 Sep 05

I had that problem and the solution is locked up somewhere in these threads.

Every time I Clicked the Contact Button on a Web Page. Some 60 pages of OE opened.

I'm afraid that you'll have to do the looking.

ICBB - eddie

leicester tigs 20:05 13 Sep 05

Well its like a needle in a haystack and have tried uninstalling Norton and installing the Grisoft antivirus. I am afraid nothing is working to stop the emails from duplicating. Anyone out there with more info? Thanks very much much ....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…