email to go to different computers

mr gee 15:31 18 May 04

Hi both my wife and myself have our own email address but only one email box is it possible by somehow setting up a message rule that my emails come to my computer and the wifes go to her's

stlucia 15:43 18 May 04

Assuming you're using Outlook you can set up a Rule on each machine which, upon receipt, deletes messages addressed to the other person. That, of course, probably won't stop the other person seeing them (if that's what you wanted) because they'll be in their deleted folder for a while.

Belatucadrus 15:45 18 May 04

One way is to set up a new Outlook express mail rule on each PC.

Open OE then go to Tools/Message rules/Mail this will open the new rules window.

Select the following options.
Rule 1 " Where the to line contains people"
Rule 2 " Do not download it from the server"
Rule 3 Click on the blue highlighted "Contains People" then add the e-mail address of your wife on your machine and vice verca.

Should work I think.

stlucia 15:45 18 May 04

... silly me. That won't work because the first person who retrieves the emails will get them all on their PC.

recap 15:46 18 May 04

Create a folder/s first in O/E or Outlook and then set your message rules for the folders.

You would still be able to open each others mail if that is not too much of a problem.

If you O/S is XP then you would set up user accounts.

techpro 17:25 18 May 04

You really need a local mail server such as click here . The mail server downloads the mail from the mailbox. You set up two users, and set it to deliver the mail according to who it is addressed to. You reconfigure the email clients to collect the mail from the mail server instead of the ISP mailbox. You can only do this, of course, if your wife's computer is connected to yours.

Belatucadrus 17:57 18 May 04

PS I was interested to see if my theoretical fix worked, so I tested it and it does do what you want. Your respective machines will ignore the mail on the server that is addressed to your other half, leaving it to be picked up by them as and when.

techpro 19:00 18 May 04

It should work except for bulk addressed mail that doesn't have a correct To: address. I can't see anyone complaining because their other half is getting their spam :) but you might subscribe to mailing lists or something like this, or have friends who like using BCC to address mail.

mr gee 19:22 18 May 04

thanks a million Belatucadrus followed your instructions on setting up rules --worked a treat

thanks all for your input

cyberphobic 19:30 18 May 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…