Email formatting: How can I reply to an email in coloured ink?

Trenny 10:50 AM 23 Oct 12

Sometimes the formatting bar shows, but more often it does not?

I want to write my replies in red against the questions in an email.

Help much appreciated.

Woolwell 11:20 AM 23 Oct 12

You will need to tell us what you use for e-mails eg Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird or webmail.

Trenny 11:35 AM 23 Oct 12

Sorry - windows mail on a Vista laptop. I am sure that there used t be a formatting bar shown when replying as well as writing emails.

northumbria61 11:40 AM 23 Oct 12

In Windows Live Mail Go to Tools > Options > Compose Tab > Font Settings

Woolwell 11:51 AM 23 Oct 12

Some time since I used Windows Mail and then only briefly. My understanding is that the format bar doesn't show for plain text. From another forum: "Either click on Format and select Rich Text (HTML), or go to Tools | Options | Send and uncheck: Reply to messages in the format they were sent."

Trenny 13:44 PM 23 Oct 12

Woolwell, I think that you my have cracked it BUT I was in plain text and have just changed it over to HTML and it seems to have done the trick! I'll see what happens when I restart etc.

Sea Urchin 14:37 PM 23 Oct 12

You will need to do both parts of Woolwell's solution. If somebody mails you using plain text then you won't get the format bar unless you uncheck Reply to messages in the format they were sent even if you are using HTML to write mail.

Trenny 18:56 PM 25 Oct 12

Many thanks, all. All sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November