Email Conundrum

axelbrora 13:36 10 Jan 09

I have a desktop at home and have just bought a laptop for working away from home during the week.

I have Vista on both machines and I am using Windows Mail on both.

Problem: When I an away from home if my wife checks our emails my emails will be downloaded to my desktop and will not be available to me when I log on with my laptop. I am sure this is a common problem and there must be a solution. I know she can always forward them on to me but the same thing will happen if she logs on again before I do!

Any help would be appreciated.

Axel

Taff™ 13:47 10 Jan 09

Leave a copy on the server. Look in advanced settings for the e-mail account properties. You will at some stage have to clear that box though and get all the mail off the server.

DieSse 14:14 10 Jan 09

Or - set up your wife to only look at them via webmail - most accounts have this. Then she can read them without ever downloading them.

Pineman100 14:57 10 Jan 09

Expanding on DieSse's solution, why not stop using an email client altogether, and use a webmail service such as Google Mail?

I changed to this about 6 months ago, and I'm absolutely sold on it. I can look at my emails anywhere, from any internet-connected computer, and my wife (or anyone else who has my password) can do so too, if necessary.

You can import all your contacts from Windows Mail straight into Google Mail. You can also divert all emails from your existing email account into it, so you don't even need to change your old email address.

And the cherry on the cake is that my emails and contacts are completely safe on Google's servers - no matter what happens to my computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5