Email clent v. webmail. Which is better?

Pineman100 14:29 11 Aug 08

I've always used email client software (Outlook) on my computer to download my emails from my ISP's server. But a friend of mine has been doing a "hard sell" on me, trying to persuade me that it's much better to use webmail (he uses Gmail).

I can see that webmail has its advantages - no space needed on my hard drive, emails safe from hard- or software crashes - but are there any disadvantages?

My current ISP is Tiscali, who offer a webmail service. If I do change to using webmail, would I be better off using Gmail or Hotmail, or is their service no different from what Tiscali webmail would give me?

I'd welcome any comments or experiences, please.

Pineman100 14:30 11 Aug 08

sorry about the thread title - can't spell "client"!!

Ditch999 14:51 11 Aug 08

Why not use both??!!
In Outlook select the option to leave a copy of the message on the server, then you can always access your mail from anywhere in the world and you have a backup of what you have downloaded through Outlook.

Pineman100 15:38 11 Aug 08

It's an interesting idea.

I think my only worry about that system would be forgetting to empty my webmail folders regularly. my ISP allows 250MB as standard on my account. I don't know how many emails that would amount to, but I'm absolutely certain that, sooner or later, I would forget to have a clear-out and run out of space!

But if I'm going to keep my emails on my ISP's server, is there any argument against just using webmail, without downloading?

Clapton is God 16:04 11 Aug 08

"would I be better off using Gmail or Hotmail, or is their service no different from what Tiscali webmail would give me?"

Webmail is webmail is webmail. Whichever webmail provider you use, you've still got to go through the inconvenience of signing in before you can get at your e-mails.

I've always used OE at home and Outlook at work and simply find an e-mail client quicker and more convenient.

In fact, I also have a Gmail address which I've set up to receive e-mails via OE rather than having to mess about signing in to Gmail.

conan_troutman 16:14 11 Aug 08

I use incredimail at home to bring in my email from about 6 webmails clients including yahoo and gmail

Hotmail you have to pay for the privilege of down loading your mail with a pop3 client.

I also have it set to leave a copy of the message on the server, and I also have thunderbird installed on a memory stick so all I have to do is plug in the stick run thunderbird and it brings in all my emails for me to view no matter where I am in the world...no logging on needed either all automatic

jack 17:12 11 Aug 08

As I have said before here and in the Mag
Taking a look see at your mail on the server,
deleting what you do not want getting into your computer.
Then fire up the client and only get the mails that mean something- then close the client down.
No Trash no viuses. Nothing but what you want in your inbox
Takes time of course it does - so what - it takes time sorting out a nasty that has crept in via E-mail too.

I use googlemail and the spam filters are very good,plus you can create a filter to auto delete spam from the spam box.
As for signing in,googlemail has the option to "remember you on this computer" no further signing in is required.

Pineman100 17:30 11 Aug 08

Along the lines of what you suggest, I use Kaspersky Internet Security. It has an extremely useful feature called the Mail Dispatcher.

If you switch this feature on, then whenever there are emails for you in your ISP's mailbox, the Dispatcher will show a pop-up window listing them all. You then have the option to delete any of them before they're downloaded to your email client.

It's an excellent feature.

should of added,remember me on this computer will only be of use,if you are the sole user with no privacy issues.

Pineman100 17:42 11 Aug 08

for your thoughts on this.

I'm quite surprised at how many of you say that have a webmail account, but then download your emails into an email client on your computer.

Similarly, several of you have a number of different email accounts.

Can you tell me what the benefits are of these decisions, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…