email authentification

Glen 12:49 08 Feb 11

I use Firefox, and have email accounts with Waitrose and Talktalk. I don't send or receive anything sensitive and do not want to use passwords. My email service is normal except when I try to reply to messages via FreeCycle". Message received "Authentication setting may not be correct for outgoing email". and "Server response 550 relay not permitted."
With difficulty I find I can email direct from the waitrose website. Should I leave those Authentification boxes un-checked?( i.e. "Log-on using password Authn" and "My server requires Authn")
Glen

Forum Editor 13:53 08 Feb 11

on their smtp (outbound) mail servers. This is to prevent people using their servers to send millions of spam messages. It enables the server to check that only people with valid identities are sending.

They will also prevent you from relaying, which means you can't use their servers to relay messages to another smtp server. When you send via the Waitrose site you are using a Waitrose server,your message isn't passing through the TalkTalk smtp server.

Alternatively, just set your email programme to authenticate on the outbound server - enter the username and password that TalkTalk supplied.

Glen 20:24 08 Feb 11

Thanks for advice. I have removed all authentification ticks, and the entries on my two accounts are identical, but only the TalkTalk account will send. The Waitrose account still flags up the message as above, and (not mentioned before) "Error Number 0X800CCC79". I talked to the waitrose ISP but no joy so far.
Glen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5