email arrives blank

palinka 17:03 12 Feb 05

a friend tells me that emails I (and others) have sent to her recently have arrived with no subject and/or "sender unspecified". Doesn't apply to all emails and there seems to be no discernible pattern to which are affected. Is this a virus?trojan?or similar?

VoG II 18:20 12 Feb 05

Which ISP is she with?

palinka 18:37 12 Feb 05

ktdinternet - it's a local computer place.

end 19:02 12 Feb 05

does she read them on server or download them into OE?

palinka 19:21 12 Feb 05

downloads them into OE. Now have further info about this problem: all was Ok until yesterday when she received an email from local council (so a legit email, no probs there) contining 2 attachments. one opened Ok; the other gives error message "Document name or path is not valid. Check file permission for document or drive; or use the file Open dialog box to locate the document".
And since then all incoming emails arrive with From:sender unspecified; and Subject: no subject.
I'm going to do a system restore, but would welcome any advice about possible reason for tyhis and solutions other than Sys Restore.

FelixTCat 19:31 12 Feb 05

Do NOT assume that something from a council is not infected. There is no reason to believe that their network management is any better than anyone else.

Check in Outlook Express - Tools - Security. The settings may be preventing the attachments showing up. By default OE refuses to show many attachments which, if you have regularly updated anti-virus software, you should be able to decide for yourself whether you want to see and open.

end 19:35 12 Feb 05

(oh well; so much for that idea for solving my problem::)))(back to the drawing board for me)

palinka 19:43 12 Feb 05

thanks for these thoughts. Have not yet done sys restorte, but Because i receive the same stuff from the council I've forwarded my copy of same email/attachment to her and they've arrived and open OK. Why the others don't is still a mystery

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…