Email address issue...

nick_j007 15:51 25 Nov 03

Hello all, I trust you are all well.

I need a little help here with managing a couple of email addresses on OE6. I use Freeserve Broadband and all is well.
After ever increasing amounts of Spam, I have issued a new address to all my contacts which they are using, but I seem unable to delete the old email address. If I look in Tools, Accounts I only see my new address, and it appears really that the old one is already deleted, but I know this not to be the case as I still receive to the old address if I care to send one to myself. Phew! If you're still reading thanks!
Ideas please for my solution?

Thanks in anticipation.

Nick Jones

Jester2K II 15:56 25 Nov 03

Is your address something like

first name @ last name . freeserve . net??

and you've changed it to

new name @ last name . freeserve . net??

Jester2K II 15:58 25 Nov 03

if so then anything sent to

anything @ last name . freeserve . net?? will go to you. In fact you can use anything you want in the place of anything above and send it to yourself. try it.

If not ignore me....

nick_j007 15:59 25 Nov 03
  BurrWalnut 16:05 25 Nov 03

By publishing your email address, you're likely to get more email. Perhaps the Editor can remove it.

Oh, and Jester2K II told you what will happen regarding getting mail.

nick_j007 16:05 25 Nov 03

Yes, quite right, tried it and I will get anything you put before hand.

Oh. Well now I'm wondering that my brilliant attempt to foil the spammers is not so good after all, because they probably send Spam to all the other possible permutations too....?

Still, any ideas on how to prevent mail coming in to that old address?

Nick

Djohn 16:07 25 Nov 03

It's the @jones3545 that will need to be changed. The Nick can stay the same. j.

nick_j007 16:08 25 Nov 03

I did consider that BurrWalnut thank you, but as people can email me and see my email address by clicking on the envelope next to my user name here I guessed it didn't matter. Have I blundered?

Do I need to go to my ISP to get them to cancel my other email address do you think?

Questions, questions

nick_j007 16:10 25 Nov 03

Thanks Djohn. That sadly confirms my worst thoughts as I now need to send yet another mass email with yet another change! Unless there is a workaround?

Nick

Djohn 16:10 25 Nov 03

Yes, when people use the yellow envelope, then mail goes through the PCA server and will not reveal your address unless you reply directly to the sender. j.

AndyJ 16:11 25 Nov 03

Jester2K is right, it doesn't matter what you change the first part to (i.e before the @ symbol).

However, if it's anything like normal email your "old" address will expire after a certain time - with No Ties it's 260 days click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…