email address

benloui 12:33 04 May 03

I just received an email from a guy that came from my email address but not from me as I didnt type it. No one else has access to my machine and this guy is a stanger to me.
Can anyone tell me how this could happen, I use freeserve and my machine runs xp.

menorcarob2 12:38 04 May 03

check that it is not a virus, as your name may be in your address book and it will send it to you as well as everybody else in your addess book

VoG™ 12:42 04 May 03

Agree that a virus check is your first port of call click here

However, you may simply have been spoofed click here

DieSse 12:46 04 May 03

There are some viruses that can "spoof" your email address.

The way it works is - the person who has the virus also has your email address in their address book. The Virus picks out your addy, and generates an email which appears to come from you.

Also if you yourself have certain viruses, they will be sending out emails you didn't write.

So check your own system with the latset AV updates, and if you're in the clear, relax - there's little you can actually do.

benloui 13:40 04 May 03

Thanks folks, carried out full virus scan with norton nothing found. So hopefully its been spoofed from some other machine. Thanks again.

benloui

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…