Elusive Virus

Garb 18:06 13 Aug 04

Windows XCP pro. AVG free antivirus with latest virus definitions.

Rec'd message to run AVG antivirus as virus detected. Switched off system restore and ran AVG. There were 3 viruses and 2 out of three were dealt with. Could not remove the third for some reason. Ran AVG again and the third was removed. Did a right click and scan on C:\documents and settings where most of the viruses seem to go and got message saying Virus "Downloader VB.4.B" detected in a file called cupdate.exe. run AVG. Did a full run and no virus detected. By a process of scanning folders I found the virus was supposed to be in a particular folder. I could not find the file cupdate.exe and I did tick the box to show hidden files. When I did a right click and scanned each of the files and sub folders in that folder, no virus detected. Up one level and scan the whole folder again and its says it has detected "Downloader VB.4.B" again Run full anti virus check and no virus detected. Shut down and restart PC and exactly the same result. So where is the virus and why does AVG detect it in one mode and not in another.

VoG II 18:13 13 Aug 04

Try scanning with click here and click here

Garb 00:04 14 Aug 04

Thanks VoG, the eScan software removed the virus and AVG no longer sees it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…