elite k7s5a mobo

Jayne doe 14:38 14 Jan 05

gentlemen could you help please. My friend had win xp bought her for xmas. She has an AMD 1400 computer with 512meg ram running win 98 for over 2 years no problems at all. We put the win xp disc and chose upgrade and it installed without a hitch. But AOL no longer works? why? I tried their helpline but it was no help at all. In the Device manager it shows an exlamation mark by PCI simple comunications controller. I have tried to update the driver as suggested but i cant find one. What is it? I have all the original discs. The mobo does not have an onboard lan or modem as far as I can tell. It does have a seperate pci modem though. but this has never been used. The AOL kit has filters and USB DSL modem. One end plugs into the tel socket and the other into a usb socket bypassing any modems. Nothing plugs into modem. This is how its been for ages but now we got xp on it just wont connect. Any ideas as to what could be wrong please? Thanks Jane.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:56 14 Jan 05

Have same board with AMD 1.2, 512 ram, speed touch external ADSL modem but not using AOL.

PCI simple comunications controller thats the old dial up modem you can ignre it.

Are the two leds lit on the ADSL modem (USB and ADSL)

Is there an entry in device manger for the ADSL modem? Check under USB entries and other devices for yellow exclamation marks.

BurrWalnut 14:58 14 Jan 05

Is the USB modem the default connection?

Control Panel, Network Connections, right click the AOL name and check that it is 'Set to default connection'.

tdmoh 15:02 14 Jan 05

Has windows xp got the sp2 update? I saw somewhere that it caused a prob with AOL But I don't know any more than that Good Luck !!

Jayne doe 15:47 14 Jan 05

yes 2 leds lit it goes as far as checking password then says goodbye.
yes there is an entry for adsl voyager modem and it is the default modem
been thru checks with aol staff who now say its the computer. But it worked fine yesterday on win 98 and nothing else has changed. Have not added sp2 yet.
have now uninstalled aol completely and modem and started again from scratch...still wont connect. You can hear modem talking then syas goodbye when checking password. AOL say the password etc are correct. This is baffling me. Incidentally the aol helpline was an indian lady who could hardly speak english and didnt really understand what I was saying I feel.

phono 16:13 14 Jan 05

When you say you can hear the modem talking what do you mean, are you sure it isn't the other PCI dialup modem that is trying to connect and that is what you hear?

I am not an expert on ADSL modems but I know the two that I have make no noise at all.

ACOLYTE 16:19 14 Jan 05

. "The AOL kit has filters and USB DSL modem. One end plugs into the tel socket and the other into a usb socket bypassing any modems Nothing plugs into modem".

How does the USB modem work if nothing is
plugged in to it?In fact how do you dial the net?
if the modem is bypassed there wont be a dial tone.

phono 16:45 14 Jan 05

Hi Acolyte.

I could be wrong but I think Jayne doe means that nothing is plugged into the internal PCI modem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 14 Jan 05

IS the ISP being blocked by the firewall or antivirus software?

Jayne doe 15:20 18 Jan 05

Hi lads
still no luck. We have tried dial up using the pci modem, works ok. We tried installing new drivers for Voyager adsl modem but it still will not connect to broadband. Still get as far as checking password then it says goodbye. We have defragged it, scandisk, run Norton fix it. Disabled Firewall....still no luck. Aol helpline ( a poorly spoken Indian lady) keeps saying the computer is at fault but it cant be. Its run OK for a year using the same modem. All we have done is put win xp on top. It also connects to AOL using dial up. It has to be there end or modem but they wont have it so she has decided to dump AOL and switch to Telewest. Thanks for trying to help . Jayne and Sue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…